Tuesday, September 10, 2013

To Protect & Serve; John 14-17

May the mumbling commence!

In Jesus’ prayer recorded in John seventeen, Jesus also prays for our protection.  And that protection comes through sanctification.  Sanctification comes through exposure to the truth.  Read from John chapter seventeen (NIV):

"I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.  I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.  My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.  Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.  For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.” (Verses 13-19)

Jesus spoke this prayer not for his own benefit but for the benefit of his disciples.  There are things that Jesus hoped for his disciples.

1)    Jesus wanted his disciples to have the full measure of Jesus-like joy within them.  Jesus filled them to the brim just as he had the stone jars filled with water that turned to wine in his first sign recorded in the gospel according to John.
2)    Jesus wanted his disciples protected from the Evil One… not taken from the world.  For just as Jesus was sent, we, as disciples are also sent.  We are meant to be in the world (but not of it).
3)    To be in the world and not of it means we need to be sanctified by the Truth.  And that truth can only be found through the Counselor / Advocate / Friend that Jesus sends us, who we know as the Holy Spirit.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “To protect and serve” doesn’t it?

May it be so!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment