Monday, September 9, 2013

Be One in Heart and Mind; John 14-17

May the mumbling commence!

Accept.  Know.  Believe.  That’s our “to-do list”.

Know that Jesus prayed for our spiritual ancestors.  Read more from Jesus’ prayer from John seventeen (Peterson’s The Message paraphrase):

I pray for them.
I’m not praying for the God-rejecting world
But for those you gave me,
For they are yours by right.
Everything mine is yours, and yours mine,
And my life is on display in them,
For I’m no longer going to be visible in the world;
They’ll continue in the world
While I return to you.
Holy Father, guard them as they pursue this life
That you conferred as a gift through me,
So they can be one heart and mind
As we are one heart and mind.
As long as I was with them, I guarded them
In the pursuit of the life you gave through me;
I even posted a night watch.
And not one of them got away,
Except for the rebel bent on destruction
(the exception that proved the rule of Scripture).” (Verses 9-12)

Jesus prayed for the Twelve.  Jesus knew they belonged to God and that God gave them to him.  Jesus knew they would become Jesus for the world after he returned to the Father.

So, what was the parting prayer of Jesus for his disciples?  It is an important thing to consider.

Jesus prayed that his disciples could be on one heart and mind.  Being of one heart and mind would put the life of Jesus on display for all to see.  Jesus prayed that God would guard them in this pursuit of this kind of life.

Let us be of one heart and mind in following Jesus!  There is nothing more important to achieve as disciples of Christ Jesus.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment