Monday, September 16, 2013

To Pray in Jesus' Name; John 14-17

May the mumbling commence!

We can be confident that our prayers will be answered with a “yes” when we pray in Jesus’ name.  But what does it mean to pray in the name of Jesus?  Let’s look at the paraphrase from Peterson The Message from John chapter fourteen:

“Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me.  If you can’t believe that, believe what you see – these works.  The person who trusts in me will not only do what I’m doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I’ve been doing.  You can count on it.  From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I’ll do it.  That’s how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son.  I mean it.  Whatever you request in this way, I’ll do.” (Verses 11-14)

To pray in Jesus’ name means much more than just tacking his name at the end of our prayers.  To pray in Jesus’ name means seeking the heart of who Jesus is and what Jesus does. When we find this heart and way of Jesus, then we can be confident that our prayers will be answered “yes”.

Not only will our prayers be answered “yes” but our expectations in the way of Jesus will be far exceeded.  Through the power of the Holy Spirit in us, we will do even greater things than what Jesus did while he was walking the earth as a man.  Yes, we are called to the same work as Jesus. 

Let us answer that call together.  There is great power in unity of thought and mind.  Let us tap that godly power to glorify our Father in heaven.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment