Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Divine Speech = Divine Action; John 14-17

May the mumbling commence!

When God speaks, things happen… just as the Creator said they would.  It is no different with Jesus, who is God’s greatest expression.  Let us listen to Jesus and see our heavenly Father in him.  Read from John chapter 14 (Peterson’s The Message paraphrase):

Philip said, “Master show us the Father; then we’ll be content.”
“You’ve been with me all this time, Philip, and you still don’t understand?  To see me is to see the Father.  So how can you ask, “Where is the Father?’  Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?  The words I speak to you aren’t mere words.  I don’t make them up on my own.  The Father who resides in me crafts each word into a divine act.” (Verses 8-10)

Words from God come to life.  They become action. 

Being in theatre, I see words becoming action happen often.  I have experienced it from the author’s perspective, the director’s perspective, and the actor’s perspective.  It is awesome to see a cast of people breathe life into a script.

I am also amazed at how it never seems to fail that even the most distressing cast ensemble comes together in tech or production week before the show.  At times, I think it is divine intervention.  I am experiencing that feeling once again this week, as I prepare with my fellow actors to breathe life into Tolkien’s story The Hobbit.

Yet, with God, divine speech and divine action are one in the same.  We are all invited to take stage in this life as children of God.  With your Word, O God, craft our lives into divine action so that we may glorify you.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment