Monday, September 16, 2013

Christ as Mr. Clean; John 14-17

May the mumbling commence!

Abiding in Christ Jesus is the greatest of all cleansing agents.  Guess we should call Christ Jesus “Mr. Clean”.  Read some more from John chapter fifteen (NRSV):

“You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you.  Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.  I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.  Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. (Verses 3-8)

Abide in Christ.  Listen to the word that he speaks to us… and be cleansed.  This abiding and listening will naturally result in fruit… in doing.  In Christ, we can do great things.  Without Christ, we can do nothing.

We are worthless without Christ…  We are worthy with him.

Abide in Christ.  Listen to his Word.  Do what it says.  Then our lives will be spent in ceaseless prayer that is done in the heart and manner of Jesus.  There will be no other conclusion than abundant fruitfulness. 

And the Father in heaven will receive glory.  May we never attempt to keep it for ourselves.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment