Sunday, April 6, 2014

Who You Gonna Call? Job 15-19

May the mumbling commence!

When you are at the end of your rope, who do you call?  While there may be family and friends nearby, sometimes they just will not do.  Do you doubt it?  Read the words of Job from chapter sixteen of Job:

"I was living quietly until he broke me apart.
He took me by the neck and dashed me to pieces.
Then he set me up as his target. 
His archers surrounded me, and his arrows pierced me without mercy.
The ground is wet with my blood. 
Again and again he smashed me, charging at me like a warrior. 
Here I sit in sackcloth. I have surrendered, and I sit in the dust. 
My eyes are red with weeping; darkness covers my eyes. 
Yet I am innocent, and my prayer is pure

O earth, do not conceal my blood. Let it cry out on my behalf. 
Even now my witness is in heaven. My advocate is there on high. 
My friends scorn me, but I pour out my tears to God. 
Oh, that someone would mediate between God and me,
as a person mediates between friends
For soon I must go down that road from which I will never return.” (Verses 12-22)

His archers surround me and make me a pincushion for arrows.  Who are these archers?  They are my friends.  Ouch!  Though you cannot choose your family, you can choose your friends.

Where does Job turn?  He turns to his witness in heaven, his advocate on high.  This advocate will help the Lord find Job innocent of wrongdoing and pure in his supplication.  Indeed, Job sees God as his friend… his estranged friend.  Read further from the words of Job in chapter nineteen:

"Have mercy on me, my friends, have mercy,
for the hand of God has struck me. 
Why must you persecute me as God does?
Why aren't you satisfied with my anguish

Oh, that my words could be written.
Oh, that they could be inscribed on a monument
carved with an iron chisel and filled with lead,
engraved forever in the rock

But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that he will stand upon the earth at last. 
And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God! 
I will see him for myself.
Yes, I will see him with my own eyes.
I am overwhelmed at the thought!” (Verses 21-27)

Job sees the handwriting on the wall.  He sees his own death approaching.  He asks for mercy from his friends.  He begs for his words to be engraved on his tombstone.


And he confesses: He knows that his Redeemer lives.  Come save me now, before it is too late.  

Job continues to look on high for his salvation.  So should we look on high in our distress.  

Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment