Sunday, April 13, 2014

Elihu - Listening with Great Patience; Job 31-36

May the mumbling commence!

We are hurtling towards the end of the book of Job.  Elihu is finally ready to speak.  Elihu was apparently present for all the arguments between Job and his three friends. 

At the end of chapter thirty-one, Job and his three friends are finally silent.  Elihu, a younger man has waited and listened patiently.  Talk about being present and silent before the overflow of verbiage!  Now that is respecting and honoring the people you are with.  

Note examples of his patience from Job chapters thirty-two and thirty-three:

Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite said,
"I am young and you are old,
so I held back and did not dare to tell you what I think
I thought, 'Those who are older should speak, for wisdom comes with age.' 
Surely it is God's Spirit within people,
the breath of the Almighty within them, that makes them intelligent. 
But sometimes the elders are not wise.
Sometimes the aged do not understand justice. 
So listen to me and let me express my opinion. 

I have waited all this time, listening very carefully to your arguments,
listening to you grope for words. 
I have listened, but not one of you has refuted Job or answered his arguments. 
And don't tell me, 'He is too wise for us. Only God can convince him.' 
If Job had been arguing with me, I would not answer with that kind of logic! 
You sit there baffled, with no further response. 
Should I continue to wait, now that you are silent? Must I also remain silent?  
No, I will say my piece. I will speak my mind. I surely will." (Chapter 32:6-17)

Even when Elihu just begins to speak his mind, he presents Job with even more opportunity to say his peace.  Read from chapter thirty-three:

“Mark this well, Job. Listen to me, and let me say more. 
But if you have anything to say, go ahead.
I want to hear it, for I am anxious to see you justified
But if not, then listen to me. 
Keep silent and I will teach you wisdom!" (Verses 31-33)

Can we, too, be anxious to justify someone we love… instead of using their fall to make us feel better about ourselves?  Read some of the wisdom of Elihu from chapter thirty-five:

"I will answer you and all your friends, too. 
Look up into the sky and see the clouds high above you. 
If you sin, what do you accomplish against him?
Even if you sin again and again, what effect will it have on him? 
If you are good, is this some great gift to him? What could you possibly give him? 
No, your sins affect only people like yourself,
and your good deeds affect only other people.” (Verses 4-8)

Our good deeds only affect those who live around us… just as our sins also affect only those around us.  God is neither harmed nor helped by our actions.  God is powerful and worthy of praise… not subject to our cross-examination.  Read from chapter thirty-six:

"Look, God is all-powerful. Who is a teacher like him? 
No one can tell him what to do.
No one can say to him, 'You have done wrong.' 
Instead, glorify his mighty works, singing songs of praise. 
Everyone has seen these things, but only from a distance.” (Verses 22-25)

We praise your name, O Lord!

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment