Friday, April 25, 2014

God, the King, Saves. Psalms 20-21; Philippians 3

May the mumbling commence!

God save the king?  No, God is the King!  Read from Psalm Twenty:

In times of trouble, may the Lord respond to your cry.
May the God of Israel keep you safe from all harm. 
May he send you help from his sanctuary
and strengthen you from Jerusalem. 
May he remember all your gifts
and look favorably on your burnt offerings.                          Interlude 

May he grant your heart's desire
and fulfill all your plans. 
May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory,
flying banners to honor our God.
May the Lord answer all your prayers. (Verses 1-5)

Who alone is worthy of our gifts and burnt offerings?  God is.  God is King.

Whose victory do we celebrate?  Is it the victory of a human king or president?  NO!  We celebrate the victory of our God and seek the fulfillment of God’s plans.

So, it’s not God save the king.  It is God the King saves.  Think about that one!

May we throw away our own reasons for self confidence and embrace knowing Christ Jesus by faith – just as the Apostle Paul does in Philippians chapter three.  Read a passage from it below:

Yet I could have confidence in myself if anyone could. If others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more!  For I was circumcised when I was eight days old, having been born into a pure-blooded Jewish family that is a branch of the tribe of Benjamin. So I am a real Jew if there ever was one! What's more, I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law.  And zealous? Yes, in fact, I harshly persecuted the church. And I obeyed the Jewish law so carefully that I was never accused of any fault. 
I once thought all these things were so very important, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done.  Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God's law, but I trust Christ to save me. For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith. (Verses 4-9)

Let’s not play the credentials game.  Instead, let’s pursue knowing Jesus more and more together.  That is priceless – paid in full by the grace and mercy on love displayed through Jesus.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment