Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sanctuary. Psalms 24-28

May the mumbling commence!

“Who do you run to when it all comes down?”

These are lyrics from a song by the rock group called “Heart”.  So, who do we run to when it seems like our life is falling down around us?  It makes me think of the meaning of sanctuary… a place to go for protection.

Sometimes, we might need something like a City of Refuge like in the days of the Hebrew Bible.  These cities of refuge were places to run to when a person accidentally killed someone.  There, they would be protected from the avenger from the dead person’s family… if they were found blameless in the death.

Sometimes, we simply need a place of safety and rest in times of storm that seem to have no bearing on our actions.  Sanctuary is an important function of the house of the Lord that we may have forgotten.  We may have forgotten that the church is not a holding pen for the righteous but a hospital for sinners.

These thought erupted for me as I read this portion of Psalm Twenty-seven.  Read it below:

The one thing I ask of the Lord— the thing I seek most—
is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
delighting in the Lord's perfections 
and meditating in his Temple
For he will conceal me there when troubles come; 
             he will hide me in his sanctuary.
He will place me out of reach on a high rock. 
Then I will hold my head high, above my enemies who surround me.
At his Tabernacle I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy,
singing and praising the Lord with music. 

Listen to my pleading, O Lord. Be merciful and answer me! 
My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me."
And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming." 
Do not hide yourself from me. Do not reject your servant in anger.
You have always been my helper. Don't leave me now;
don't abandon me, O God of my salvation! 
Even if my father and mother abandon me, 
            the Lord will hold me close. 

Teach me how to live, O Lord.
Lead me along the path of honesty, 
for my enemies are waiting for me to fall. 
Do not let me fall into their hands.
For they accuse me of things I've never done 
and breathe out violence against me. 
Yet I am confident that I will see the Lord's goodness 
            while I am here in the land of the living. 

Wait patiently for the Lord
            Be brave and courageous. 
            Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. (Verses 4-14)

The house of the Lord is a place to go for sanctuary in times of storm.  The Temple is a place to run to when everything seems to be falling apart.  And, in that place of rest and security and protection, we might be transformed.

We will find delight.  We will find restoration through sacrifice.  We will find ample reason to worship the Lord.  We will find teachings that will help to guide our life in the land of the living.


And, if we wait well… if we are patient, we will rediscover our courage to be and do and stand as the Lord has created us to be.  

Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment