Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Someone to Rely On. Job 5-6; Second Corinthians 7

May the mumbling commence!

When do we need our friends to be the most reliable?  When, if not the tough times?  Sometimes, tough times are exactly when people dry up and leave us.  It is a truth that Job knew well.  Read from Job’s words in chapter six:

"One should be kind to a fainting friend,
but you have accused me 
without the slightest fear of the Almighty. 
My brother, you have proved as unreliable
as a seasonal brook that overflows its banks in the spring 
when it is swollen with ice and melting snow. 
But when the hot weather arrives, the water disappears.
The brook vanishes in the heat. 
The caravans turn aside to be refreshed,
but there is nothing there to drink,
and so they perish in the desert. 
With high hopes, the caravans from Tema and from Sheba stop for water, 
but finding none, their hopes are dashed. 
You, too, have proved to be of no help.
You have seen my calamity, 
and you are afraid.” (Verses 14-21)

Waters of friendship sometimes overflow the banks and sometimes dry up into parched river beds.  Where are our friends when we most need them?  If they are good friends, they are by our side… being present for us.  If they are second rate friends they may disappear into their own fear.

What do people have to fear from people in distress and anguish?  Job suggests that they fear that the person in trouble will ask for aid… too much aid.  So the friends disappear.  It is easier to walk past on the other side of the street than put myself at risk by helping.

And maybe people are afraid of what the distress and anguish of their loved ones will mean for them in the future… or what it will remind them of in their past.  Maybe distress is too close to home, so to speak.

Let’s make a promise to one another to be there for each other in times of distress.  Duress, if we confront it together can lead us further down the path that Christ Jesus has blazed for us.  Read from the words of Paul in Second Corinthians chapter seven:

Please open your hearts to us. We have not done wrong to anyone. We have not led anyone astray. We have not taken advantage of anyone.  I'm not saying this to condemn you, for I said before that you are in our hearts forever. We live or die together with you.  I have the highest confidence in you, and my pride in you is great. You have greatly encouraged me; you have made me happy despite all our troubles. 
When we arrived in Macedonia there was no rest for us. Outside there was conflict from every direction, and inside there was fear.  But God, who encourages those who are discouraged, encouraged us by the arrival of Titus.  His presence was a joy, but so was the news he brought of the encouragement he received from you. When he told me how much you were looking forward to my visit, and how sorry you were about what had happened, and how loyal your love is for me, I was filled with joy! 
I am no longer sorry that I sent that letter to you, though I was sorry for a time, for I know that it was painful to you for a little while.  Now I am glad I sent it, not because it hurt you, but because the pain caused you to have remorse and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants his people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way.  For God can use sorrow in our lives to help us turn away from sin and seek salvation. We will never regret that kind of sorrow. But sorrow without repentance is the kind that results in death. (Verses 2-10)


Let’s open our hearts to one another so that we may receive encouragement from the Lord.  Pain and remorse, when coupled with repentance – a true change in our ways, will work for our salvation.  

It is a risk, but it the most acceptable risk of all – the risk to love.  Let’s open our hearts!  

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment