Friday, April 18, 2014

Safe and Secure from All Alarms. Psalm 3-4; Ephesians 3

May the mumbling commence!

You and I can rest in the Lord.  We are secure.  There is that old rhyme: “Now I lay me down to sleep”.  Though its words are not biblical, there is a biblical precedent for them.  Read the last verse of Psalm Four:

I will lie down in peace and sleep,
for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe. (Verse 8)

Through the Lord, we have a peace that surpasses understanding.  We can let go and rest deeply, knowing that we are safe.  And many of us know that feeling.  I have known that feeling when I am in the arms of the people I hold dear… the people I love.

There is nothing like the feeling when your child falls asleep in your arms.  It is a feeling that you cannot fully comprehend until you experience it.  It is precious.

But what is the foundation of this peace we have in the Lord?  Read the Apostle Paul’s prayer for the Ephesian church that is recorded in Ephesians chapter three:

When I think of the wisdom and scope of God's plan, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth.  I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit.  And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is.  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God. 
Now glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope.  May he be given glory in the church and in Christ Jesus forever and ever through endless ages. Amen. (Verses 14-21)

The root of our peace in Christ is found in his love.  We struggle to comprehend that love.  It is beyond our capacity.

We need the power of God’s wisdom so that we can begin the lifelong process of learning that love – how wide it is, how deep it is, and how high it is.  That is the definition of the fullness of life that we find in Christ Jesus.  It is much more than we can dare to dream, hope or imagine.

In awe, praise the Lord!  Sing hallelujah.  Sing this Good Friday, through the tears of confession as Jesus takes our penalty on the cross.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out


No comments:

Post a Comment