Saturday, April 5, 2014

Silence is Golden. Job 13-14; Second Corinthians 11

May the mumbling commence!

Remain silent and be thought a fool.  Open your mouth and remove all doubt.  These are words of wisdom.  Listen much, and speak only after you have methodically thought out what you are going to say.

This is a lesson that I have to learn over and over again.  Words once spoken cannot be unspoken.  Just look at the irony of Job’s situation!  Read from Job chapter thirteen:

"Look, I have seen many instances such as you describe.
I understand what you are saying. 
I know as much as you do. You are no better than I am.  
Oh, how I long to speak directly to the Almighty.
I want to argue my case with God himself. 
For you are smearing me with lies.
As doctors, you are worthless quacks. 
Please be quiet! That's the smartest thing you could do. 
Listen to my charge; pay attention to my arguments.” (Verses 1-6)

Job is wise.  He gives great advice… if only he could take his own advice!  Job knows he is no different than his friends.  Yet, Job advises them to keep silent.

Even as Job tries to convince his friends to keep their silence, Job longs to speak to the Almighty.  He wants to argue his case with God.  He wants his friends to listen to his words and pay attention to his arguments.  Oh, the irony!

It makes me think of the younger students on my school bus.  They have yet to learn how to have a conversation.  Everyone wants to speak at the same time.  Everyone wants to be heard, so the volume slowly ratchets up.  To listen is a tough lesson to learn.  To listen and be present (not trying to formulate your answer during listening) is quite a gift indeed.

Some people never develop this gift.  If I am honest with myself, I need some work in that area myself.  What about you?

Let’s care deeply for one another – just as the Apostle Paul did for the many churches he planted.  Read from Second Corinthians chapter eleven:

Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of how the churches are getting along.  Who is weak without my feeling that weakness? Who is led astray, and I do not burn with anger
If I must boast, I would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am.  God, the Father of our Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows I tell the truth. (Verses 28-31)

When one is weak in the church body, all are weak with him or her.  If someone is led astray, all burn with anger.  Boasting about ourselves is only godly if we boast in our weaknesses.  Through our weaknesses, the strength and light of the love of Christ shines through us.  How else can good work come from such a damaged instrument as me?

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment