Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Tell God Your Honest Feelings. Job 7-8; Second Corinthians 8

May the mumbling commence!

Sometimes, as I read the Scriptures, I am reminded about a specific time in my life.  That was the case this morning.  I found myself thinking of my Grandma Christian.

Because I was the youngest of my parents’ children and my father was the youngest in his family, the only time I remember about my Grandma Christian was when she was in a nursing home.  She was never very happy, and she wondered why the staff would not just let her die.  Her will to continue living was gone.

Visiting my Grandma Christian was never a happy occasion, and I do not remember the visits with fondness.  It is hard for me to understand even now as an adult.  It was impossible for me to understand then as a child.

These thoughts were going through my mind as I read this passage from Job chapter seven (in the words of Job):

I would rather die of strangulation than go on and on like this. 
I hate my life. I do not want to go on living.
Oh, leave me alone for these few remaining days. 
What are mere mortals, that you should make so much of us? 
For you examine us every morning and test us every moment. 
Why won't you leave me alone—
even for a moment? 
Have I sinned? What have I done to you, O watcher of all humanity?
Why have you made me your target? Am I a burden to you? 
Why not just pardon my sin and take away my guilt?
For soon I will lie down in the dust and die.
When you look for me, I will be gone." (Verses 15-21)

I’d rather die of strangulation than go on living.  I hate my life.  Those are some raw words.  Sooner or later in our lives, these words will ring true.  In the heat of the moment, they will ring true.

Tell God.  The Lord can take it.  And it will help you process your own feelings… so that you will not be lying to yourself.  Do it in the company of friends as Job did.  May your friends listen to you, may they be present to you in your agony.  Misery loves company indeed.

With it out of our system, maybe we can move on and follow through with our lives and commitments.  Read from Second Corinthians chapter eight:

I suggest that you finish what you started a year ago, for you were the first to propose this idea, and you were the first to begin doing something about it.  Now you should carry this project through to completion just as enthusiastically as you began it. Give whatever you can according to what you have.  If you are really eager to give, it isn't important how much you are able to give. God wants you to give what you have, not what you don't have.  Of course, I don't mean you should give so much that you suffer from having too little. I only mean that there should be some equality. (Verses 10-13)

May the enthusiasm of your life continue throughout your days.  Give what you have.  Do not worry about what you do not have to give.  Give with an idea of equality in mind.  Give of yourself generously.  

Do so, and you will find that life will always have a rich meaning for you.  You are on the path to God’s Kingdom.  Celebrate that!

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment