Friday, November 9, 2012

Trust in One Only; Job 15-16, Proverbs 8

May the mumbling commence!

Be careful where you put your trust.  There is only one we can completely trust in – the Lord.  To put trust anywhere else is tempting disaster and disappointment.  Read from Eliphaz’s words in Job chapter fifteen:

“Let him not trust in futile things, deceiving himself,
For futility will be his reward. 
It will be accomplished before his time,
And his branch will not be green. 
He will shake off his unripe grape like a vine,
And cast off his blossom like an olive tree. 
For the company of hypocrites will be barren,
And fire will consume the tents of bribery. 
They conceive trouble and bring forth futility;
Their womb prepares deceit." (Verses 31-35)

Trust in futile things – fame, fortune, or worldly knowledge – and futility will be your reward.  Though you may seem to prosper for a moment, barrenness, trouble and futility will make themselves known beyond all the deceit and denial we try to stack up.  These futile things will show themselves to be a house of cards that fall at the slightest blowing of the wind. 

In a world like this, we begin to wonder is there anyone to trust.  Who can save us from the futility of our sinfulness?  In fact, Job asks this very question in Job chapter sixteen:

"O earth, do not cover my blood,
             And let my cry have no resting place!
Surely even now my witness is in heaven,
            And my evidence is on high. 
My friends scorn me;   
           My eyes pour out tears to God. 
Oh, that one might plead for a man with God,
          As a man pleads for his neighbor! 
For when a few years are finished,
          I shall go the way of no return.” (Verses 18-22)   

Job felt abandoned by his friends.  Job felt they sided with God.  And Job was wondering where exactly was God in all this suffering and misery.  There seemed to be no plausible explanation for his suffering – even though his “friends” tried to explain it for him. 

Job says surely my witness is in heaven.  Surely his evidence is with God on High – evidence that will plead Job’s case for him.  Surely!  But I sense some doubt in all of Job’s pain and confusion.  Anyone in the deepest pits of their lives can sympathize with Job. 

There is One with Job.  There is One with us.  The Righteous One.  The wise One.  Jesus.  Read about this one in Proverbs chapter eight:

I love those who love me,
And those who seek me diligently will find me. 
Riches and honor are with me,
               Enduring riches and righteousness. 
My fruit is better than gold, yes, than fine gold,
And my revenue than choice silver. 
I traverse the way of righteousness,
              In the midst of the paths of justice, 
That I may cause those who love me to inherit wealth,
That I may fill their treasuries. 
The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way,
Before His works of old. 
I have been established from everlasting,
From the beginning, before there was ever an earth.
(Verses 17-23)

Amen!  I believe.  Jesus is there for you and me. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment