Monday, November 19, 2012

The Strong Tower; Job 35-36, Proverbs 18

May the mumbling commence!

God is so far above humanity.  How can anyone do anything to either harm to augment God’s ways?  It is a question that Elihu asks Job in chapter thirty-five:

“If you sin, what do you accomplish against Him?
Or, if your transgressions are multiplied,
what do you do to Him? 
If you are righteous, what do you give Him?
Or what does He receive from your hand? 
Your wickedness affects a man such as you,
And your righteousness a son of man.” (Verses 6-8)

Our personal wickedness or righteousness affects only the other people around us.  While this is no unremarkable feat, it does not affect God.  God ways are so much higher than our ways.  Read the description of God’s majesty from the end of chapter thirty-six (again they are Elihu’s words):

"Behold, God is great, and we do not know Him;
Nor can the number of His years be discovered. 
For He draws up drops of water,
Which distill as rain from the mist, 
Which the clouds drop down
And pour abundantly on man. 
Indeed, can anyone understand the spreading of clouds,
The thunder from His canopy? 
Look, He scatters his light upon it,
And covers the depths of the sea. 
For by these He judges the peoples;
He gives food in abundance. 
He covers His hands with lightning,
And commands it to strike. 
His thunder declares it,
The cattle also, concerning the rising storm.” (Verses 26-33)

Our God is not a distant God.  Our God is present everywhere.  We only need to be aware of God.  And God does things.  Did you notice all those action verbs with God as the actor?  It is no wonder to me that no one can understand God.  I am silent in awe before the Almighty One, the Creator of all creation.

Where else would I run to in my time of trouble?  Who else can save me as God can?  NO ONE!  Read a verse from Proverbs chapter eighteen:

The name of the Lord is a strong tower;
The righteous run to it and are safe. (Verse 10)

There is a song based upon this verse.  I can hear it in my head now.  The song reminds me of my time at seminary.  I first heard the song at Prairie Street Mennonite Church of Elkhart, Indiana.

I need neither skyscrapers nor any Washington Monuments.  I have the Lord.  I need nothing or no one else.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment