Monday, November 5, 2012

God's Wisdom in All Times; Job 7-8, Proverbs 4

May the mumbling commence!

What does illness lead to?  It leads to miserable days and long unpleasant nights.  Anyone who has ever been sick enough to wonder if death would be preferable knows what I am talking about.  This type of sickness is what Job talks about in Job chapter seven:

“So I have been allotted months of futility,
And wearisome nights have been appointed to me. 
When I lie down, I say, 'When shall I arise,
And the night be ended?'
For I have had my fill of tossing till dawn. 
My flesh is caked with worms and dust,
My skin is cracked and breaks out afresh. 
My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle,
And are spent without hope. 
Oh, remember that my life is a breath!
My eye will never again see good.” (Verses 3-7)

Yes, when sickness strikes, it can be bad.  I remember my days and nights before and after my surgery for a ruptured appendix.  Those days of agony and irregularity were awful.  If I were to see a light at the end of the tunnel, I would either be convinced or be hoping that the light was an oncoming train that would put me out of my misery. 

I know what it is like to sing the blues of illness.  I wish that I didn’t.  And, in the midst of suffering, someone will say something trite.  They mean well, but they are heard… not so well, in my experience.  Read the comforting words of Bildad from Job chapter eight:

Behold, God will not cast away the blameless,
Nor will He uphold the evildoers. 
He will yet fill your mouth with laughing,
And your lips with rejoicing. 
Those who hate you will be clothed with shame,
And the dwelling place of the wicked will come to nothing." (Verses 20-22)

God remains near the blameless and abandons the evildoers.  That may sound great to un-afflicted ears.  But to those afflicted the question remains: Which camp do I belong to – the blameless or the evildoers? 

Your mouth will laugh.  Your lips will rejoice.  They are nice thoughts, but I would imagine Job looking around trying to see who Bildad is talking to.  In distress, laughing and rejoicing seem far removed. 

May we seek the wisdom of the Lord in sickness and in health – no matter what the cost.  Read from Proverbs chapter four:

Get wisdom! Get understanding!
Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 
Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you;
Love her, and she will keep you. 
Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding. (Verses 5-7)

We spend much on our healthcare.  May we spend as much of our efforts and resources to attain the wisdom of God. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment