Saturday, November 17, 2012

Listen to and Love All; Job 31-32, Proverbs 16

May the mumbling commence!

Jesus tells us to love our enemies and to pray for those who persecute us.  In Job, we find seeds for this command.  In Job, we find the foreshadowing of Jesus’ words in the Sermon on the Mount (and the Sermon on the Plain).  Read from Job chapter thirty-one:

"If I have rejoiced at the destruction of him who hated me,
Or lifted myself up when evil found him 
(Indeed I have not allowed my mouth to sin
By asking for a curse on his soul.)” (Verses 29-30)

There is to be no joy in my heart when someone who hates me falls from grace.  I am to take no opportunity to lift myself up on the downfall of my enemy.  And, when I pray for my enemies and those who persecute me, I do not ask in my prayers for a curse to come down on his or her soul.

Indeed, may my ways with those who hate me and persecute me please the Lord.  If my ways please the Lord, then I will reap the rewards.  Read from Proverbs chapter sixteen:

When a man's ways please the Lord,
He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Verse 7)

So, let me give deference to those older and presumably wiser than me.  Let us listen patiently while our elders talk.  Let us also not be afraid to add our own perspectives after we listen to more experienced people.  It would be following in the footsteps of Elihu.  And Elihu is the only man not rebuked by the Lord at the end of the book of Job!  Read his opening words from chapter thirty-two:

“I am young in years, and you are very old;
Therefore I was afraid,
And dared not declare my opinion to you. 
I said, 'Age should speak,
And multitude of years should teach wisdom.' 
But there is a spirit in man,
And the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. 
Great men are not always wise,
Nor do the aged always understand justice. 
Therefore I say,
'Listen to me, I also will declare my opinion.'” (Verses 6b-10)

Elihu had spent a lot of time listening to the discourse between Job and his three friends (about twenty-eight chapters worth of it).  Indeed, Elihu waited until the other men had exhausted all their words.  Elihu had waited and listened.  He knew that neither Bildad nor Eliphaz nor Zophar had refuted Job with anything that they could substantiate.

And Elihu also knew that the great and aged people do not always have a corner on the market of wisdom.  He realizes that true wisdom comes from above.  Yes, Elihu has listened; but, now, Elihu would dare to speak. 

And those people who are older and more experienced should listen to the youth as well.  It is a way to stay on the path of righteousness – when young and old come together to the Word of God.  Read again from Proverbs chapter sixteen:

The silver-haired head is a crown of glory,
If it is found in the way of righteousness. (Verse 31)

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment