Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Cast Your Vote; Job 9-10, Proverbs 5

May the mumbling commence!

In the United States, today is a day of decision.  There are a myriad of choices set before us.  I give thanks for our right to vote, and I exercise my right.  I hope you do, too. 

There is one decision that we can make any day.  A decision that is much more important than any vote on candidates or issues.  Will you give your life over the only wise God?  The decision to do so seems like a no-brainer, yet many people hesitate. 

Why do people hesitate?  They are afraid that their lives will be less full and rewarding if they hand over control to God.  There is nothing further from the truth.  Only through the wisdom of God guiding our lives can we become the creatures that God has created us to be. 

Can the army make you “be all that you can be”?  That is debatable.  But let me tell you: God can make you “be all that you can be”.  Read from Job chapter nine:

“God is wise in heart and mighty in strength.
Who has hardened himself against Him and prospered? 
He removes the mountains, and they do not know
When He overturns them in His anger; 
He shakes the earth out of its place, And its pillars tremble; 
He commands the sun, and it does not rise;
He seals off the stars; 
He alone spreads out the heavens,
               And treads on the waves of the sea; 
He made the Bear, Orion, and the Pleiades,
               And the chambers of the south; 
He does great things past finding out,
Yes, wonders without number.” (Verses 4-10) 

God is not a distant being who does nothing.  God is a God of action and love.  God does things that only the Creator of all things can do.  God can make you “be all that you can be”. 

Anything or anyone else is a fake, a faulty substitute.  To go to anyone or anything other than God with our lives is like adultery – the adultery that Proverbs chapter five warns us about:

Therefore hear me now, my children,
And do not depart from the words of my mouth. 
Remove your way far from her,
And do not go near the door of her house, 
Lest you give your honor to others,
And your years to the cruel one; 
Lest aliens be filled with your wealth,
And your labors go to the house of a foreigner; 
And you mourn at last,
When your flesh and your body are consumed, 
And say: "How I have hated instruction,
And my heart despised correction! 
I have not obeyed the voice of my teachers,
Nor inclined my ear to those who instructed me! 
I was on the verge of total ruin,
In the midst of the assembly and congregation." (Verses 7-14)

The choice is a simple one.  Choose God or choose eternal regret.  I know how I will vote.  I choose God this day forward.  How about you? 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment