Sunday, November 11, 2012

Measure Carefully Your Words; Job 19-20, Proverbs 10

May the mumbling commence!

Sometimes there are so many words – empty words that add no meaning.  There was once a joke about a congregant that told their pastor that they were not paid by the word, so please shorten the sermons.  I think of these witticisms when I am reading Job. 

But every time I read these words from Job chapter nineteen (spoken by Job), I am given pause.  Read them below:

"Oh, that my words were written!
Oh, that they were inscribed in a book! 
That they were engraved on a rock
With an iron pen and lead, forever! 
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
And He shall stand at last on the earth; 
And after my skin is destroyed, this I know,
That in my flesh I shall see God, 
Whom I shall see for myself,
And my eyes shall behold, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me! (Verses 23-27)

The first couple of verses in this passage are echoed by the many who have suffered seemingly needlessly – without cause.  These first couple of verses often strikes me to the heart.  I know a little about suffering – though I did not get the PhD that Job did.  As a writer, I also resonate with these words.  I, too, want my words recorded for all to see.

But, what is at the heart of my message?  It needs to be about the most important thing in life – the Lord.

What a bold statement Job makes!  Job was well before his time!  Most people in those days believed in no continued life after death.  They believed in a nebulous shadow world, where all the dead go to.  Job speaks of no such shadow world.

Hear what Job boldly declares: “My Redeemer lives.  He will stand at last on earth.”  How is that for a foreshadowing of the coming of Jesus Christ – the Word of God made flesh? 

Even after death takes Job, Job is certain that he will see God in his own flesh.  It is this hope that confounds the wisdom of the world at that time, but it is this hope that is forever grounded in God. 

Before we speak, let’s think.  Read some passages from Proverbs chapter ten:

In the multitude of words sin is not lacking,
But he who restrains his lips is wise. (Verse 19)  

This verse reminds me of the words of Abraham Lincoln: Remain quiet and be thought a fool, or open your mouth and remove all doubt!  Read further from Proverbs ten:

The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom,
But the perverse tongue will be cut out. 
The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable,
But the mouth of the wicked what is perverse. (Verses 31-32)

The words that come out of our mouths reveal the contents and attitudes of our hearts.  A righteousness based upon God brings forth acceptable words of wisdom.  The result is mutual edification. 

Wickedness brings forth perverse words.  The result is being silenced – the tongue being cut out. 

Yes, exercise great caution before you speak. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment