Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stumbling onto Wisdom; Job 23-24, Proverbs 12

May the mumbling commence!

Sometimes, we talk to hear the sound of our voices.  Sometimes, we talk without thinking.  And, sometimes, we accidentally hit the nail on the head.  I remember one time, when I had first started my Christian walk. 

I was getting ready to go to a small group Bible study one evening.  One of my nieces asked me where I was going.  I told her that I was going to a Bible study.  When she asked why, I answered her because I had nothing better to do.

My answer was kind of terse and sarcastic, but I look back on the statement now and think that I spouted wisdom that my conscious brain had no inkling of at the time.  When I think about it, I just shake my head and laugh.

In Job chapter twenty-three, Job stumbles on the reason for his trouble and stress and agony.  Read from chapter twenty-three:

But He knows the way that I take;
When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold. 
My foot has held fast to His steps;
I have kept His way and not turned aside. 
I have not departed from the commandment of His lips;
I have treasured the words of His mouth
More than my necessary food. (Verses 10-12)  

Job was right.  This was a test.  It was only a test.  And he was passing the test.  Job held fast to the path that God laid before him; Job did not turn aside.  Job recited the commandments of the Lord so that they would be etched upon his heart.  He treasured and was fed by the words of God’s mouth – more than from physical food.

What a lesson for you and me!  Open the Word of God.  Prepare it by reading it with other believers.  Feast on it.  With this diligence, we will be welcomed into God’s family as adopted children.  Read from Proverbs chapter twelve where it talks about food:

The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting,
But diligence is man's precious possession. (Verse 27)

May we be deemed diligent and not lazy when it comes to feasting on the Word of God!

And, when our Christian brothers and sisters suffer, let us not feed their anxiety.  Let us instead give them a good word.  And, remember, sometimes, that good word is silence and active listening.  Read another verse from Proverbs chapter twelve:

Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression,
But a good word makes it glad. (Verse 25)

Let us spread God’s cheerful words of Good News this holiday season and beyond!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment