Saturday, November 24, 2012

"Now, I Lay Me down to Sleep"; Psalm 4; Proverbs 23

May the mumbling commence!

Many of us know some popular writings like “Footprints in the Sand”.  They become dear to our hearts.  “Footprints in the Sand” is one of my favorites.  It helps me rest at night – particularly when I am going through difficult times.  I rest comforted by these words.

In what or whom do we find rest?  It is an important question for our safety and security, because not all things or people can be trusted.  Do you remember the first time your beloved fell asleep in your arms?  I do.  It is a touching, awe-inspiring, fearful experience.  This person trusts in me.  I hope I do not screw it up. 

Do you remember, if you are a parent, the first time your child fell asleep in your arms?  I do.  And the feelings are much the same.  I hope I do not screw it up. 

I am not one to trust.  I often fail.  There are other people and things to trust with our rest and security.  But they can end up hurting us.  Read about what dependency on drugs – specifically alcohol – can do to those who trust them with rest and security.  Read from Proverbs chapter twenty-three:

Who has woe?
Who has sorrow?
Who has contentions?
Who has complaints?
Who has wounds without cause?
Who has redness of eyes? 
Those who linger long at the wine,
Those who go in search of mixed wine. 
Do not look on the wine when it is red,
When it sparkles in the cup,
When it swirls around smoothly; 
At the last it bites like a serpent,
And stings like a viper. 
Your eyes will see strange things,
And your heart will utter perverse things. 
Yes, you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
Or like one who lies at the top of the mast, saying: 
"They have struck me, but I was not hurt;
They have beaten me, but I did not feel it.
When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink?" (Verses 29-35)

How’s that for a beginning of a top ten list of things we wish to avoid?  Do you want 1) woe, 2) sorrow, 3) contentions, 4) complaints, 5) wounds without cause, 6) red eyes, 7) to be snake-bitten?  I don’t know about you, but these are not on my bucket-list. 

I want to avoid strange and perverse things.  I want to avoid numbness – even if it means feeling pain and hurt feelings.  To avoid the less than pleasant feelings also means to dull the good feelings.  I throw avoidance away as far as I can. 

Now, remember with me, the nighttime prayer often spoken in families of old – the one made popular recently by Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” song.  Here it is:

“Now, I lay me down to sleep.  I pray the Lord my soul to keep, and if I die before I wake.  I pray the Lord my soul to take.” 

The words are none to comforting to a child – if they understand and pay attention to the words.  But for older chaps, like me, they do bring comfort.  I no longer think myself invincible.  But do these words have any basis in Scripture?  Read and make your own conclusions from Psalm Four:

There are many who say,
"Who will show us any good?"
Lord, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us. 
You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine increased. 
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Verses 6-8)

Trust and rest in the Lord.  There is no other true or reliable. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment