Wednesday, November 21, 2012

No Time for Senseless Quarrels; Proverbs 20, Job 39-40

May the mumbling commence!

I just read part of a newspaper article this morning about angst at the Thanksgiving Day table on the year of a presidential election.  Families are often divided amongst the political spectrum.  Usually, we avoid talk of politics and faith.  But, in a presidential election year, it is harder to avoid. 

Indeed, how do we share what we are thankful for in the aftermath of the election?  Some people are deeply disappointed.  Others are jubilant.  Others still are certain that the United States is doomed for destruction.  Some people are beginning talks in their various states about withdrawing from the United States! 

Really?!?  I think people – regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum – put too much importance or relevance on who occupies the White House… or the Senate Chambers… or the House of Representatives.  This is NOT a time to argue and bicker over water under the bridge.  This is time to work hand-in-hand to do things that need to be done.  It is time to forge compromise.

And most of all, it is time to realize that the most important leader – the most important Lord – is firmly in place.  Jesus Christ is my Savior – and no one or nothing else.  Nations rise and fall.  Christ reigns forevermore.

So, let’s stop striving for what we think we want or need.  Instead, let’s come before God in silence and the posture of listening and humility.  Then, we have a chance at recovering our honor.  Read from Proverbs chapter twenty:

It is honorable for a man to stop striving,
Since any fool can start a quarrel. (Verse 3)

It is honorable for people to stop striving.  To refuse to do so is risking foolishness.  To refuse to do so is risking getting into a quarrel that has no end and in which there can be no winners.  We are NOT in a competition.  We are in this together.  A fool will insist on his own way.  An honorable person will realize that the way forward is together, behind the leading of the Holy Spirit of God.

An honest person will realize that she cannot save the country.  Indeed, we cannot even save ourselves!  We depend on another.  We depend totally upon the work of Christ.  And we are interdependent on one another.  If my brother or sister across the street is not doing well, then I will not be reaching my potential either.  To insist otherwise is foolishness.  Read again from Proverbs chapter twenty:

Who can say, "I have made my heart clean,
I am pure from my sin"? (Verse 9)

Indeed, no one can.  If we claim salvation in any other way than the Way of Christ, then we argue with God.  Look to Job to see how it feels to be confronted by the Lord Almighty.  Read from Job chapter forty:

Then Job answered the Lord and said: 
"Behold, I am vile;
What shall I answer You?
I lay my hand over my mouth. 
Once I have spoken, but I will not answer;
Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further." (Verses 3-5)

To be confronted by the Lord is to be reminded of our true condition before God – vile.  No answer comes to our lips.  We hide our mouth behind our hands.  The speech we have prepared dies before it passes our lips.  Silence is the safest course of action. 

Let’s remember these things as we gather around the Thanksgiving Day table tomorrow – in this presidential election year. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment