Friday, January 9, 2015

Trying to Get Your Due. Genesis 30:25-36

May the mumbling commence!

Jacob had worked for his Uncle Laban for seven years for the hand of Rachel.  Laban deceived him and gave him Leah instead.  Now Jacob had to work an additional seven years for Rachel.  Surely, after the birth of eight children, the seven years had elapsed.  How much longer can this slave labor last?  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            After Rachel had had Joseph, Jacob spoke to Laban, “Let me go back home.  Give me my wives and children for whom I’ve served you.  You know how hard I’ve worked for you.”
                Laban said, “If you please, I have learned through divine inquiry that God has blessed me because of you.”  He went on, “So name your wages.  I’ll pay you.”
                Jacob replied, “You know well what my work has meant to you and how your livestock has flourished under my care.  The little you had when I arrived has increased greatly; everything I did resulted in blessings for you.  Isn’t it about time that I do something for my own family?”
                “So what shall I pay you?”
                Jacob said, “You don’t have to pay me a thing.  But how about this?  I will go back to pasture and care for your flocks.  Go through your entire flock today and take out every speckled or spotted sheep, every dark-colored lamb, every spotted or speckled goat.  They will be my wages.  If you find any goat that’s not speckled or spotted or a sheep that’s not black, you will know that I stole it.”
                “Fair enough,” Laban said.  “It’s a deal.”
                But that very day Laban removed all the mottled and spotted billy goats and all the speckled and spotted nanny goats, every animal that had even a touch of white on it plus all the black sheep and placed them under the care of his sons.  Then he put a three-day journey between himself and Jacob.  Meanwhile Jacob went on tending what was left of Laban’s flock.  (Genesis 30:25-36)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

After Rachel gave birth to Joseph, Jacob said to Laban, "Send me on my way so I can go back to my own homeland.  Give me my wives and children, for whom I have served you, and I will be on my way. You know how much work I've done for you." 
But Laban said to him, "If I have found favor in your eyes, please stay. I have learned by divination that the Lord has blessed me because of you."  He added, "Name your wages, and I will pay them." 
Jacob said to him, "You know how I have worked for you and how your livestock has fared under my care.  The little you had before I came has increased greatly, and the Lord has blessed you wherever I have been. But now, when may I do something for my own household?" 
"What shall I give you?" he asked.
"Don't give me anything," Jacob replied. "But if you will do this one thing for me, I will go on tending your flocks and watching over them:  Let me go through all your flocks today and remove from them every speckled or spotted sheep, every dark-colored lamb and every spotted or speckled goat. They will be my wages.  And my honesty will testify for me in the future, whenever you check on the wages you have paid me. Any goat in my possession that is not speckled or spotted, or any lamb that is not dark-colored, will be considered stolen." 
"Agreed," said Laban. "Let it be as you have said."  That same day he removed all the male goats that were streaked or spotted, and all the speckled or spotted female goats (all that had white on them) and all the dark-colored lambs, and he placed them in the care of his sons.  Then he put a three-day journey between himself and Jacob, while Jacob continued to tend the rest of Laban's flocks.  (Genesis 30:25-36)

Wow!  Talk about two men who do not trust one another.  Jacob had reason to distrust Laban after the marriage fiasco.  Laban had only the name of Jacob to go by at that point… Jacob’s name means deceiver.

Again Laban says, “Name your wages.”  Another blank check!  Jacob asks for all the speckled or spotted or dark colored of the flocks as his pay.  And he insists on going through the flocks personally – in the NIV (something missing in Peterson’s work).  He doesn’t trust Laban.

Peterson also missed the echo that Jacob did of the blessing from the Lord that Laban first noted.  Peterson only has Jacob saying that my work has resulted in blessings for you.  I don’t like that change!

And Laban agreed to the set upon wages.  “Let’s do it,” he said.  Here’s where I like the work of Peterson.  He makes clear (as do other translations) that Laban first goes through his flocks and removes Jacob’s pay before Jacob examines them.  

Jacob had to know that something was up again.  He was back to tending Laban’s flocks with no pay.  What would Jacob do?  We’ll see tomorrow.


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment