Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Responding to Ugly Acts and Words. Genesis 30:9-16

May the mumbling commence!

How would Leah respond to the ugly acts of her sister Rachel?  She would do likewise at least in giving her maid to Jacob but with a different attitude.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            When Leah saw that she wasn’t having any more children, she gave her maid Zilpah to Jacob for a wife.  Zilpah had a son for Jacob.  Leah said, “How fortunate!” and she named him Gad (Lucky).  When Leah’s maid Zilpah had a second son for Jacob, Leah said “A happy day!  The women will congratulate me in my happiness.”  So she named him Asher (Happy).
            One day during the wheat harvest Reuben found some mandrakes in the field and brought them home to his mother Leah.  Rachel asked Leah, “Could I please have some of your son’s mandrakes?”
            Leah said, “Wasn’t it enough that you got my husband away for me?  And now you also want my son’s mandrakes?’
            Rachel said, “All right.  I’ll let him sleep with you tonight in exchange for your son’s love-apples.”
            When Jacob came home that evening from the fields, Leah was there to meet him: “Sleep with me tonight; I’ve bartered my son’s mandrakes for a night with you.”  So he slept with her that night.  (Genesis 30:9-16)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

When Leah saw that she had stopped having children, she took her maidservant Zilpah and gave her to Jacob as a wife.  Leah's servant Zilpah bore Jacob a son.  Then Leah said, "What good fortune!" So she named him Gad. 
Leah's servant Zilpah bore Jacob a second son.  Then Leah said, "How happy I am! The women will call me happy." So she named him Asher. 
During wheat harvest, Reuben went out into the fields and found some mandrake plants, which he brought to his mother Leah. Rachel said to Leah, "Please give me some of your son's mandrakes." 
But she said to her, "Wasn't it enough that you took away my husband? Will you take my son's mandrakes too?"
"Very well," Rachel said, "he can sleep with you tonight in return for your son's mandrakes." 
So when Jacob came in from the fields that evening, Leah went out to meet him. "You must sleep with me," she said. "I have hired you with my son's mandrakes." So he slept with her that night.  (Genesis 30:9-16)

Though there is some red, the differences between the NIV and Peterson’s work are simply cosmetic.  They do not change the heart and soul of the passage, in my opinion.

And though Leah gave her maid to Jacob as a wife when she stopped having children just as Rachel had given her maid to Jacob as a wife, do you notice the change in attitude?  While Rachel speaks of vindication and winning a great struggle, Leah speaks of good fortune and happiness.  It seems that Leah only wants the affection of her husband Jacob.  She does not entirely see this desire putting her in conflict with her sister Rachel.

But then Leah’s firstborn, Reuben finds some mandrakes for his mother.  Rachel wanted those mandrakes badly.  What is the importance of these mandrakes, anyway?  Peterson helps us out with that.  Mandrakes were thought of by the people at that time to be an aphrodisiac that also promised fruitfulness to the couple.  Rachel wanted the mandrakes in hope that she would bear her first son for Jacob.

That’s why Leah reacted so hostilely.  The conflict Rachel was picking finally takes root in Leah too.  And that’s why Rachel bartered away Jacob for the night.  It seems that Rachel had Jacob wrapped around her finger.  He needed Rachel’s permission to sleep with Leah!

Ugly acts breed more ugly acts.  Let’s stop this vicious cycle, if we can!


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment