Monday, January 19, 2015

The Open Embrace of Fellowship. Genesis 33:1-11

May the mumbling commence!

The fated reunion of Jacob and Esau is finally upon us.  Would it be the closed fist of vengeance or the open hand of fellowship?  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Jacob looked up and saw Esau coming with his four hundred men.  He divided the children between Leah and Rachel and the two maidservants.  He put the maidservants out in front, Leah and her children next, and Rachel and Joseph last.  He led the way and, as he approached his brother, bowed seven times, honoring his brother.  But Esau ran up and embraced him, held him tight and kissed him.  And they both wept.
            Then Esau looked around and saw the women and children: “And who are these with you?”
            Jacob said, “The children that God saw fit to bless me with.”
            Then the maidservants came up with their children and bowed; then Leah and her children, also bowing; and finally, Joseph and Rachel came up and bowed to Esau.
            Esau then asked, “And what was the meaning of all those herds that I met?”
            “I was hoping that they would pave the way for my master to welcome me.”
            Esau said, “Oh, brother.  I have plenty of everything – keep what is yours for yourself.”
            Jacob said, “Please.  If you can find it in your heart to welcome me, accept these gifts.  When I saw your face, it was the face of God smiling on me.  Accept the gifts I have brought for you.  God has been good to me and I have more than enough.”  Jacob urged the gifts on him and Esau accepted.  (Genesis 33:1-11)

Now read the same passage from the NIV:

Jacob looked up and there was Esau, coming with his four hundred men; so he divided the children among Leah, Rachel and the two maidservants.  He put the maidservants and their children in front, Leah and her children next, and Rachel and Joseph in the rear.  He himself went on ahead and bowed down to the ground seven times as he approached his brother. 
But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.  Then Esau looked up and saw the women and children. "Who are these with you?" he asked.
Jacob answered, "They are the children God has graciously given your servant." 
Then the maidservants and their children approached and bowed down.  Next, Leah and her children came and bowed down. Last of all came Joseph and Rachel, and they too bowed down. 
Esau asked, "What do you mean by all these droves I met?"
"To find favor in your eyes, my lord," he said. 
But Esau said, "I already have plenty, my brother. Keep what you have for yourself." 
"No, please!" said Jacob. "If I have found favor in your eyes, accept this gift from me. For to see your face is like seeing the face of God, now that you have received me favorably.  Please accept the present that was brought to you, for God has been gracious to me and I have all I need." And because Jacob insisted, Esau accepted it.  (Genesis 33:1-11)

Let’s talk about the grace of God… God’s unmerited favor for us.  Jacob knew this grace.  Why did Peterson ignore this aspect of this passage?  To me, there’s a world of difference between children graciously given and God “seeing fit to bless me with”. 

And, don’t get me wrong, God is most definitely good.  But good pales in comparison to the graciousness of the Lord, shown in His provision for Jacob… and for us.  Bring back the acknowledgement of grace!

Knowing our blessings are graces directly from God puts things in perspective.  With this perspective, we have the potential for true humility.  We have the potential to humbly serve our brothers and sisters in Christ.  We can say, “I am your servant” without reservation.

And I wonder what was going through Jacob’s mind as Esau ran to meet him.  Was this his last moments?  NO!  It was prelude to a warm embrace.  

That’s the face of God – when our most bitter enemies welcome us warmly.  Indeed, that’s God’s face smiling down upon us.  There’s no better healing warmth than that!


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment