Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Beauty Starts in Our Hearts. Genesis 30:1-8

May the mumbling commence!

Jealousy between sisters can be quite strong.  It was the case between Leah and Rachel.  And matters were made worse when the married the same man.  And Rachel, in desperation, did what her foremother did.  She gave her maid to Jacob to bear sons for her.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

When Rachel realized that she wasn’t having any children for Jacob, she became jealous of her sister.  She told Jacob, “Give me sons or I’ll die!”
                        Jacob got angry with Rachel and said, “Am I God?  Am I the one who refused you babies?”
            Rachel said, “Here’s my maid Bilhah.  Sleep with her.  Let her substitute for me so I can have a child through her and build a family.”  So she gave him her maid Bilhah for a wife and Jacob slept with her.  Bilhah became pregnant and gave Jacob a son.
Rachel said, “God took my side and vindicated me.  He listened to me and gave me a son.”  She named him Dan (Vindication).  Rachel’s maid Bilhah became pregnant again and gave Jacob a second son.  Rachel said, “I’ve been in an all-out fight with my sister – and I’ve won.”  She named him Naphtali (Fight).  (Genesis 30:1-8)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

When Rachel saw that she was not bearing Jacob any children, she became jealous of her sister. So she said to Jacob, "Give me children, or I'll die!" 
Jacob became angry with her and said, "Am I in the place of God, who has kept you from having children?" 
Then she said, "Here is Bilhah, my maidservant. Sleep with her so that she can bear children for me and that through her I too can build a family." 
So she gave him her servant Bilhah as a wife. Jacob slept with her, and she became pregnant and bore him a son.  Then Rachel said, "God has vindicated me; he has listened to my plea and given me a son." Because of this she named him Dan. 
Rachel's servant Bilhah conceived again and bore Jacob a second son.  Then Rachel said, "I have had a great struggle with my sister, and I have won." So she named him Naphtali.  (Genesis 30:1-8)

I see no issues between Peterson’s work and the NIV.  So, let’s spend time with the heart and soul of this passage.

One thing that I find revealing is that the name for God has changed.  In the passage from yesterday that regarded Leah, the personal name for the Lord is used – the Lord, Yahweh.  Today’s passage uses the simple designation of God.

Why is this?  Well, beauty is more than skin deep.  Even though Rachel is beautiful – lovely in form, she does not act in a beautiful way.  While Leah had solely her relationship with Jacob in mind, Rachel was pointedly jealous of Leah.

Rachel’s jealousy vented itself on Jacob in anger.  And Jacob only returned the anger.  Anger and jealousy are the fruits of a marriage that involves two sisters.

Isn’t that already a messed up marriage enough?  But Rachel makes the decision to give her maid to Jacob as a wife, solely to compete with Leah in having children… sons specifically.  Rachel feels a need for vindication.  Why?!?  She already has the love of her husband.  “God took her side.”  Really?!?  Oh, the bitterness!

Rachel feels she’s in a knock ‘em down drag ‘em out fight with her sister.  And don’t laugh about a fight between women.  The most brutal fights that I witnessed in my junior and high school years were between girls.  Rachel desperately wants to keep Jacob’s love for her as opposed to her sister Leah.  

Rachel makes the assumption that Jacob cannot truly love both of them.

Rachel may be beautiful on the outside, but her attitudes and words and actions were belying the ugliness of her heart.  And the Lord sees the attitudes of our hearts.  Maybe that’s why God shut Rachel’s womb.  

I don’t know.  I am not comfortable with that theology, but it seems to be the theology of the passage.  

May our beauty start in the attitudes of our hearts.


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment