Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Problematic Pursuit. Genesis 31:19-30

May the mumbling commence!

Rachel shows her true colors.  She has a difficult time leaving her old ways behind… even as she tries to choose the Lord.  And her actions cause even more need for deception and hurt.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Laban was off shearing his sheep.  Rachel stole her father’s household gods.  And Jacob had concealed his plans so well that Laban the Aramean had no idea what was going on – he was totally in the dark.  Jacob got away with everything he had and was soon across the Euphrates headed for the hill country of Gilead.
            Three days later, Laban got the news: “Jacob’s run off.”  Laban rounded up his relatives and chased after him.  Seven days later they caught up with him in the hill country of Gilead.  That night God came to Laban the Aramean in a dream and said, “Be careful what you do to Jacob, whether good or bad.”
            When Laban reached him, Jacob’s tents were pitched in the Gilead mountains; Laban pitched tents there, too.
            “What do you mean,” said Laban, “by keeping me in the dark and sneaking off, hauling my daughters off like prisoners of war?  Why did you run off like a thief in the night?  Why didn’t you tell me?  Why, I would have sent you off with a great celebration – music, timbrels, flutes!  But you wouldn’t permit me so much as a kiss for my daughters and grandchildren.  It was a stupid thing for you to do.  If I had a mind to, I could destroy you right now, but the God of your father spoke to me last night, ‘Be careful what you do to Jacob, whether good or bad.’  I understand.  You left because you were homesick.  But why did you steal my household gods?”  (Genesis 31:19-30)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

When Laban had gone to shear his sheep, Rachel stole her father's household gods.  Moreover, Jacob deceived Laban the Aramean by not telling him he was running away.  So he fled with all he had, and crossing the River, he headed for the hill country of Gilead. 
On the third day Laban was told that Jacob had fled.  Taking his relatives with him, he pursued Jacob for seven days and caught up with him in the hill country of Gilead.  Then God came to Laban the Aramean in a dream at night and said to him, "Be careful not to say anything to Jacob, either good or bad." 
Jacob had pitched his tent in the hill country of Gilead when Laban overtook him, and Laban and his relatives camped there too.  Then Laban said to Jacob, "What have you done? You've deceived me, and you've carried off my daughters like captives in war.  Why did you run off secretly and deceive me? Why didn't you tell me, so I could send you away with joy and singing to the music of tambourines and harps?  You didn't even let me kiss my grandchildren and my daughters good-by. You have done a foolish thing.  I have the power to harm you; but last night the God of your father said to me, 'Be careful not to say anything to Jacob, either good or bad.'  Now you have gone off because you longed to return to your father's house. But why did you steal my gods?"  (Genesis 31:19-30)

What did God tell Laban not to do?  Did it have to do with actions (Peterson)?  Or did it have to do with words (NIV)?  All the other translations also write about the act of speech.

Be careful what you say.  It’s an important concept… especially at a parting of ways.  Be careful what you say should not be left out.  We never know when it will be the last time that we see someone alive.  It’s good to part on amiable terms.

Did Laban the Aramean listen to God?  Laban he had the power to harm or destroy Jacob, and he told him so.  In fact, Laban intimated that that was his plan… until God intervened on behalf of Jacob.  He had used precious time to round up his relatives before pursuing Jacob.

Laban did not like a taste of his own medicine.  Laban hated to be deceived.  That’s why he was so hot under the collar.  And to top it all off, his household gods were missing.  He suspected Jacob of this theft.

Problems, problems, problems!  Rachel had thrown another reason for suspicion on the escape.  How would this problem be solved?  We’ll find out tomorrow!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out 

No comments:

Post a Comment