Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Hard for a Leopard to Change Its Spots. Genesis 33:12-20

May the mumbling commence!

Sometimes, it’s easier to give than to receive.  Jacob had to plead with his brother Esau to take the gift offered to him.  But when Esau offers a gift to Jacob, Jacob flatly refuses.  It’s part of Jacob’s relational make-up.  I say that because it involves a true and trusting relationship with his brother – something he’s apparently not ready for.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Then Esau said, “Let’s start out on our way; I’ll take the lead.”
            But Jacob said, “My master can see that the children are frail.  And the flocks and herds are nursing, making for slow going.  If I push them too hard, even for a day, I’d lose them all.  So, master, you go on ahead of your servant, while I take it easy at the pace of my flocks and children.  I’ll catch up with you in Seir.”
            Esau said, “Let me at least lend you some of my men.”
            “There’s no need,” Jacob said.  “Your generous welcome is all I need or want.”
            So Esau set out that day and made his way back to Seir.
            And Jacob left for Succoth.  He built a shelter for himself and sheds for his livestock.  That’s how the place came to be called Succoth (Sheds).
            And that’s how it happened that Jacob arrived all in one piece in Shechem in the land of Canaan – all the way from Paddan Aram.  He camped near the city.  He bought the land where he pitched his tent from the sons of Hamor, the father of Shechem.  He paid a hundred silver coins for it.  Then he built an altar there and named it El-Elohe-Israel (Mighty Is the God of Israel).  (Genesis 33:12-20)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Then Esau said, "Let us be on our way; I'll accompany you." 
But Jacob said to him, "My lord knows that the children are tender and that I must care for the ewes and cows that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard just one day, all the animals will die.  So let my lord go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the droves before me and that of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir." 
Esau said, "Then let me leave some of my men with you."
"But why do that?" Jacob asked. "Just let me find favor in the eyes of my lord." 
So that day Esau started on his way back to Seir.  Jacob, however, went to Succoth, where he built a place for himself and made shelters for his livestock. That is why the place is called Succoth. 
After Jacob came from Paddan Aram, he arrived safely at the city of Shechem in Canaan and camped within sight of the city.  For a hundred pieces of silver, he bought from the sons of Hamor, the father of Shechem, the plot of ground where he pitched his tent.  There he set up an altar and called it El Elohe Israel.  (Genesis 33:12-20)

How did Esau couch his offer to Jacob?  Peterson suggests that Esau wanted to lead.  The NIV speaks of Esau accompanying Jacob.  Which is closer to the truth?  Various translations go with one or the other.  There’s no consistent voice.  Perhaps the tension should be there. 

It’s a little of both.  But the call to fellowship and the offer of protection is clear.  And Jacob refuses both offers.

True to his name, Jacob lies.  Jacob deceives Esau again.  Though Jacob tells Esau that he will follow him to Seir, Jacob settles instead outside of Shechem.

It seems little has changed in Jacob.  Maybe that’s why he isn’t referred to as Israel in this passage.  He’s still doing Jacob-like things.

And his sons are watching… and learning.  Soon they would grow into great deceivers in their own rite.  But that’s a series of stories for the following days.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment