Monday, January 12, 2015

Choosing Our Inheritance Wisely. Genesis 31:10-18

May the mumbling commence!

Are daughters due a part of the inheritance from their father?  The custom of that time would usually say, “No”.  God says differently then… and now.  

The dreams and covenants the Lord gives us is for both male and female.  The covenant was for Abraham and Sarah, for Isaac and Rebekah, for Jacob and Leah.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            “Once, while the flocks were mating, I had a dream and saw the billy goats, all of them streaked, speckled, and mottled, mounting their mates.  In the dream an angel of God called out to me, ‘Jacob!’
            I said, ‘Yes?’
            He said, ‘Watch closely.  Notice that all the goats in the flock that are mating are streaked, speckled, and mottled.  I know what Laban’s been doing to you.  I’m the God of Bethel where you consecrated a pillar and made of vow to me.  Now be on your way, get out of this place, go home to your birthplace.’”
            Rachel and Leah said, “Has he treated us any better?  Aren’t we treated worse than outsiders?  All he wanted was the money he got from selling us, and he’s spent that.  Any wealth that God has seen fit to return to us from our father is justly ours and our children’s.  Go ahead.  Do what God told you.”
            Jacob did it.  He put his children and his wives on camels and gathered all his livestock and everything he had gotten, everything acquired in Paddan Aram, to go back home to his father Isaac in the land of Canaan.  (Genesis 31:10-18)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

"In breeding season I once had a dream in which I looked up and saw that the male goats mating with the flock were streaked, speckled or spotted.  The angel of God said to me in the dream, 'Jacob.' I answered, 'Here I am.'   And he said, 'Look up and see that all the male goats mating with the flock are streaked, speckled or spotted, for I have seen all that Laban has been doing to you.  I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land.'" 
Then Rachel and Leah replied, "Do we still have any share in the inheritance of our father's estate?  Does he not regard us as foreigners? Not only has he sold us, but he has used up what was paid for us.  Surely all the wealth that God took away from our father belongs to us and our children. So do whatever God has told you." 
Then Jacob put his children and his wives on camels, and he drove all his livestock ahead of him, along with all the goods he had accumulated in Paddan Aram, to go to his father Isaac in the land of Canaan.  (Genesis 31:10-18)

There are numerous differences between the NIV and Peterson’s work.  Two of those differences I see as being significant to the Spirit and heart of the text.  One of those cases, I lean heavily toward the NIV.  In the other, I lead toward Peterson’s work.

I like that Peterson has brought out the meaning of home.  When Jacob leaves Paddan Aram and goes to Canaan, he would be going home.  That’s a little more than simply going to your native land.

Home can be confusing.  I’ve lived in several places for significant amounts of time.  I was born and raised in Ohio.  I’ve spent a majority of my life there – about twenty-nine years of my forty-one.  But I’ve also spent about four years of my life in northern Indiana, where I went to seminary.  I spent a couple of years in southwest Georgia.  And the last five years or so I’ve lived in Kansas.

For Christmas, I went “home” to Ohio.  When it came time to leave, I also went “home” to Kansas.  Where is home for me?  That’s a complicated question.  Home is where God has called me to be.  Home has been several different places for me.  But home is always wherever God calls me to be.

On the other significant difference, I regret that Peterson has left out the inheritance theme that Rachel and Leah spoke to Jacob about.  Normally daughters in that culture have no right to an inheritance from their father.  But their father had cheated their husband Jacob.  What they had was rightfully theirs and their children’s.  

But it goes much deeper than that.  God’s promise and covenant is not only for Jacob.  It’s also for Leah and Rachel.  They realize that and tell Jacob to do as God has told him.  They were choosing God and listening to his summons to Canaan.  

Will we choose God and the inheritance that He has for us through Jesus?  It’s an essential question for our eternal life. 


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out  

No comments:

Post a Comment