Saturday, January 17, 2015

Flattery and Bribery Will Get You... Genesis 32:9-20

May the mumbling commence!

Jacob puts a plan together to appease his brother Esau, who still appears to be ready to destroy him after all these years apart.  There will be flattery.  There will be bribery.  But, would it work?  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

                And then Jacob prayed, “God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, God who told me, ‘Go back to your parents’ homeland and I’ll treat you well.’  I don’t deserve all the love and loyalty you’ve shown me.  When I left here and crossed the Jordan I only had the clothes on my back, and now look at me – two camps!  Save me, please, from the violence of my brother, my angry brother!  I’m afraid he’ll come and attack us all, me, the mothers and the children.  You yourself said, ‘I will treat you well; I’ll make your descendants like the sands of the sea, far too many to count.’”
                He slept the night there.  Then he prepared a present for his brother Esau from his possessions: two hundred female goats, twenty male goats, two hundred ewes and twenty rams, thirty camels with their nursing young, forty cows and ten bulls, twenty female donkeys and ten male donkeys.  He put a servant in charge of each herd and said, “Go ahead of me and keep a healthy space between each herd.”
                Then he instructed the first one out: “When my brother Esau comes close and asks, ‘Who is your master?  Where are you going?  Who owns these?’ – answer him like this, ‘Your servant Jacob.  They are a gift to my master Esau.  He’s on his way.’”
                He gave the same instructions to the second servant and to the third – to each in turn as they set out with their herds: “Say ‘Your servant Jacob is on his way behind us.’”  He thought, “I will soften him up with the succession of gifts.  Then when he sees me face-to-face, maybe he’ll be glad to welcome me.”  (Genesis 32:9-20)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, O Lord, who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups.  Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children.  But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.'" 
He spent the night there, and from what he had with him he selected a gift for his brother Esau: two hundred female goats and twenty male goats, two hundred ewes and twenty rams, thirty female camels with their young, forty cows and ten bulls, and twenty female donkeys and ten male donkeys.  He put them in the care of his servants, each herd by itself, and said to his servants, "Go ahead of me, and keep some space between the herds." 
He instructed the one in the lead: "When my brother Esau meets you and asks, 'To whom do you belong, and where are you going, and who owns all these animals in front of you?' then you are to say, 'They belong to your servant Jacob. They are a gift sent to my lord Esau, and he is coming behind us.'" 
He also instructed the second, the third and all the others who followed the herds: "You are to say the same thing to Esau when you meet him.  And be sure to say, 'Your servant Jacob is coming behind us.'" For he thought, "I will pacify him with these gifts I am sending on ahead; later, when I see him, perhaps he will receive me."  (Genesis 32:9-20)

Jacob was frightened for his life and the lives of his family.  He was scared silly.  And what was his first course of action?  He prayed to God.  He prayed to his LordGod became personal to Jacob when He spoke to Jacob at Bethel when Jacob was on his way to Paddan Aram. 

Jacob acknowledges the grace he’s received from the Lord.  Was this heart knowledge or only head knowledge?  The NIV records Jacob as calling himself a servant to God.  

Peterson omits this designation.  Is Peterson hinting at the insincerity of Jacob’s plea to God?  Does Peterson believe that Jacob is trying to appease God with false humility? 

These are important questions to consider.  And there’s no way to definitively know the answer.  So let’s give Jacob the benefit of the doubt.  In this case, I side with the NIV translation. 

The heart of Jacob’s prayer is save me!  You said you would prosper me… or you would treat me well.  Now is your chance!

But Jacob’s preparations to reunite with his brother Esau smack of flattery and bribery.  He calls Esau his master or lord.  He acknowledges that he’s Esau’s servant.  He sends a wealth of gifts to Esau.  

Maybe this would help smooth over the fact that he took Esau’s birthright and blessing.  But what was Jacob thinking that this flattery and bribery would accomplish?  Peterson has Jacob dreaming of a warm welcome, while the NIV had Jacob simply wanting to be received and not destroyed.  

I think the latter is truer to Jacob’s heart, as we will see in the coming days. 


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment