Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Labor of Love. Genesis 29:14-21

May the mumbling commence!

Jacob had fallen hard for Rachel… and he ended up working for a woman in the employment with his Uncle Laban.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

Laban said, “You’re family!  My flesh and blood!”
When Jacob had been with him for a month, Laban said, “Just because you’re my nephew, you shouldn’t work for me for nothing.  Tell me what you want to be paid.  What’s a fair wage?”
Now Laban had two daughters; Leah was the older and Rachel the younger.  Leah had nice eyes, but Rachel was stunningly beautiful.  And it was Rachel that Jacob loved.
So Jacob answered, I will work for you seven years for your younger daughter Rachel.
“It is far better,” said Laban, “that I give her to you than marry her to some outsider.  Yes. Stay here with me.”
So Jacob worked seven years for Rachel.  But it seemed only like a few days, he loved her so much.
Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife; I’ve completed what we agreed I’d do.  I’m ready to consummate my marriage.”  (Genesis 29:14-21)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Then Laban said to him, "You are my own flesh and blood."
After Jacob had stayed with him for a whole month, Laban said to him, "Just because you are a relative of mine, should you work for me for nothing? Tell me what your wages should be." 
Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.  Leah had weak eyes, but Rachel was lovely in form, and beautiful.  Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, "I'll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel." 
Laban said, "It's better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me."  So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her
Then Jacob said to Laban, "Give me my wife. My time is completed, and I want to lie with her."
(Genesis 29:14-21)

The changes that Peterson has made are not significant to the heart of this passage, in my opinion.  It’s better to focus on the story.

Jacob stayed and worked for Laban for a whole month before Laban even brought up pay.  That’s a month’s worth of free labor!  But Laban did give him the opportunity to name his price.  Maybe Laban thought Jacob was about to leave.

When we get to name our own price, what is our heart’s desire?  Is it wealth?  For Jacob, it was all about love.  He wanted to marry the love of his life.  If anything was keeping him around, it was Rachel.  So he asked for her hand in marriage.  He had a blank check and asked for Rachel.

And he was willing to work for her for seven years.  Seven is a complete number.  Jacob was willing to work the amount of time necessary in the eyes of Laban to earn his younger daughter’s hand in marriage.

The days flew by because of Jacob’s love for Rachel.  May we have such love for our spouses!  May we have such love for our God!  May we have such love for our Christian brothers and sisters! 

Enough mumbling for now… 


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment