Sunday, January 11, 2015

Attitude is Everything. Genesis 31:1-9

May the mumbling commence!

It’s never easy to see the tables turned.  Animosity was rising between Jacob and the sons of Laban.  Trouble seems to follow Jacob wherever he goes.  Maybe it was time to leave…

But who sets the proper time?  It’s the Lord.  Jacob waits on the Word of the Lord.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Jacob learned that Laban’s sons were talking behind his back: “Jacob has used our father’s wealth to make himself rich at our father’s expense.”  At the same time, Jacob noticed that Laban had changed toward him.  He wasn’t treating him the same.
            That’s when God said to Jacob, “Go back home where you were bornI’ll go with you.”
            So Jacob sent word for Rachel and Leah to meet him out in the field where his flocks were.  He said, “I notice that your father has changed toward me; he doesn’t treat me the same as before.  But the God of my father hasn’t changed; he’s still with me.  You know how hard I’ve worked for your father.  Still, your father has cheated me over and over, changing my wages time and again.  But God never let him really hurt me.  If he said, ‘Your wages will consist of speckled animals’ the whole flock would start having speckled lambs and kids.  And if he said ‘From now on your wages will be streaked animals’ the whole flock would have streaked ones.  Over and over God used your father’s livestock to reward me.”  (Genesis 31:1-9)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Jacob heard that Laban's sons were saying, "Jacob has taken everything our father owned and has gained all this wealth from what belonged to our father."  And Jacob noticed that Laban's attitude toward him was not what it had been. 
Then the Lord said to Jacob, "Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you." 
So Jacob sent word to Rachel and Leah to come out to the fields where his flocks were.  He said to them, "I see that your father's attitude toward me is not what it was before, but the God of my father has been with me.  You know that I've worked for your father with all my strength, yet your father has cheated me by changing my wages ten times. However, God has not allowed him to harm me.  If he said, 'The speckled ones will be your wages,' then all the flocks gave birth to speckled young; and if he said, 'The streaked ones will be your wages,' then all the flocks bore streaked young.  So God has taken away your father's livestock and has given them to me.”  (Genesis 31:1-9)

I like the addition of Peterson’s that Laban’s sons “were talking behind his back”.  They saw their inheritance slipping away.  Talking behind his back is right on target with the way Laban’s family has treated Jacob.  Things are done in an underhanded way.

There’s another change that I’m not so sure about.  The Lord is the Great I Am.  Peterson changes the message to Jacob to I’ll go with you rather than I will be with you.  It seems like a small change.  Maybe it is.  But, in this world of actions speaking louder than words, there is something to be said for simple being. 

God acts out of His being.  The being comes first.  That’s important for us to know as Christians.  We must learn to be Christians before we can act like Christians.

And attitude is everything.  Laban’s attitude had changed toward Jacob.  Peterson does not speak at all of attitude.  It’s important… essential… not something to be edited out.

Jacob showed his attitude by his hard work despite the conniving of Laban and his family.  Jacob showed his attitude by waiting on the Word of the Lord.  And Jacob, as we will see, will show his attitude by not taking the bait for conflict with Laban and his family.

Let’s have an attitude of active being with the Lord.  It will make all the difference in our eternal success.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment