Monday, February 25, 2013

Waiting, Panting, Longing; Psalm 119; Proverbs 23

May the mumbling commence!

Have you ever wanted something so badly that you panted after the mere thought of it?  Such longing!  Such bittersweet waiting!  Read how the psalmist pants after direction from the Lord.  Read the stanza devoted to the Hebrew letter “PE”:

Your testimonies are wonderful;
Therefore my soul keeps them. 
The entrance of Your words gives light;
It gives understanding to the simple. 
I opened my mouth and panted,
For I longed for Your commandments. 
Look upon me and be merciful to me,
As Your custom is toward those who love Your name. 
Direct my steps by Your word,
And let no iniquity have dominion over me. 
Redeem me from the oppression of man,
That I may keep Your precepts. 
Make Your face shine upon Your servant,
And teach me Your statutes. 
Rivers of water run down from my eyes,
Because men do not keep Your law. (Verses 129-136)

The mouth pants with desire – longing for the Words of the Lord.  And the longing for the Word is fed by the need to have God direct our steps… to have God redeem us… to have the light of God shine upon us (What peace!)… to have God teach us.  How wonderful, bright and simple!

Tears run from our eyes.  They run for joy and for longing.  They run for hope.  They run to be steeped in instruction and knowledge.  Read from Proverbs chapter twenty-three:

Apply your heart to instruction,
And your ears to words of knowledge. (Verse 12)

Indeed!  Help us, O Lord to apply ourselves… to chase after Your heart.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment