Sunday, February 10, 2013

Not the Sharpest Tool in the Shed; Ecclesiastes 9-10, Proverbs 8

May the mumbling commence!

My name is Matt, and I’m a dull axe.  There – I said it.  I stated the obvious.  It is a wonder that I get anything done.  It is a wonder that I get anything accomplished. 

Yet every now and again I do something.  And I do it well.  Yippee!

But, before you or I throw our arms out of whack patting ourselves on the back, let’s state the obvious.  I’m a dull axe.  Running on my own wisdom and power, there is no hope for success.  With the right person wielding me, I might get something done.

And the right person is Christ.  You know – with God, all things are possible.  Wow!  God can do wonders with a dull axe like me.  Read one of my favorite verses from Ecclesiastes (chapter ten verse ten):

If the ax is dull,
And one does not sharpen the edge,
Then he must use more strength;
But wisdom brings success.

Sometimes, God does sharpen me.  I get sharpened by experiences.  Most of the time, those experiences hurt.  Many times, I need to repeat my lessons.  I am a slow learner at times, but I thank God for His patience with slow learners.  I need the obvious restated numerous times.

I also get sharpened by working with other, sharper tools in God’s toolbox.  You know – as iron sharpens iron, so does one friend sharper another friend.  Though this kind of sharpening isn’t usually as painful, it can be quite embarrassing.  You know – she took me to school.

Help us to be humble as we learn or don’t learn or refuse to learn from life experiences that You bless us with, O God.  Help us to be willing tools in Your hands.  Help us to be a part of Your continuing creative process.

Grant us courage and hope to remember (yeah, there’s that repetition thing again) that there is no one stronger or more wise than You.  With the power and wisdom of God shone through Christ and given to us through the Holy Spirit, we will be useful tools in God’s tool box. 

Yes, perfect power and wisdom comes only from above… from God.  Read from Proverbs chapter eight:

Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom;
I am understanding, I have strength. 
By me kings reign,
And rulers decree justice. 
By me princes rule, and nobles,
All the judges of the earth. (Verses 14-16)

Sound wisdom and epitomizing understanding – that is God.  And that kind of wisdom and understanding equates to strength beyond that even of ants and spiders.  If we are indeed the children of God, then let us rest in the knowledge of God’s wisdom and strength.  By it kings, princes and nobles reign.  By it rulers mete out justice and judges judge.

May it be so!  Says I, yours truly – one dull axe.

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment