Saturday, February 23, 2013

Indulge in Sweetness! Psalm 119, Proverbs 21

May the mumbling commence!

Do you have a sweet tooth – perhaps a whole mouthful of them?  I do.  The Word of God is sweet – so sweet it brings light to our eyes, to our lives.  Read the ending of the stanza for the Hebrew letter “MEM” and the beginning of the stanza for the Hebrew letter “NUN” (They are consecutive verses.) from Psalm one-hundred nineteen.  You should recognize at the very least some of these words:

How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth! 
Through Your precepts I get understanding;
Therefore I hate every false way. 
Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path. (Verses 103-105)

Oh, I’m sorry.  Did you give up sweets for Lent?  Sorry to bring up a potentially sore subject.  But console yourself with a couple of ideas:

1.     You can binge read of the Bible, God’s Word.  It will not break your Lenten devotion.  It has no calories.  It is not produced on the hard work of small children in sweat shops in two-thirds world countries.  It will not send you into a diabetic coma.
2.     The Lent season is forty days long.  If you do the counting, Lent is too long then!  That is because Sundays are not included in Lent.  If you dare, you can lay aside your Lenten devotion on Sundays!

How’s that for sweetness and light to the eyes?  Light for life, indeed!

And every time I read verse 105, I cannot help but think of that song…  “Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.”  I can hear that beautiful music in my head as I type.

Let us indulge in sweetness and enlighten our eyes!  The Word of God!  That is the most desirable treasure to be found.  Don’t squander it!  Indulge yourself.  Read from Proverbs chapter twenty-one:

There is desirable treasure,
And oil in the dwelling of the wise,
But a foolish man squanders it.  (Verse 20)  

Oh, YUMMY!  Let the buffet be served.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment