Saturday, February 2, 2013

Remember, Pray, Watch, Do; Psalm 143, Proverbs 31

May the mumbling commence!

What do I do now?  We’ve all been at that point at one time or another.  You know, I’m at the end of my rope.  Help! 

What do I do now?  And the question becomes even more complicated when the question becomes:  What do we do now?  I am a part of a family unit.  I have a wife and a young son.  What I do directly affects both my wife and son.

And, to expand the circle, what I do affects my church family.  What I do affects my work family.  And there seems to be no easy answers.  The issues usually have spiritual roots.  They may have ramifications physically or emotionally or financially, but all of these things are interconnected.  All of these things are interconnected including the spiritual.

I must admit that I felt that way last night.  What do we do now?  Finances continue  to take a drastic turn for the worst.  I believe that our current life is not financially sustainable.  What do we do now?  It is time for difficult decisions to be made.  It is time for difficult changes to be made.

Where does my family start to plan for the present with an eye to the future?  Who will walk along with us in this continuing journey?  In times like these, we must go to family – both biological and church family.  In times like these, we must all turn together to God.  How do we turn to God in times of distress?  Thank God for the Psalms!  Read a passage from Psalm one-hundred forty-three:

I remember the days of old;
           I meditate on all Your works;
           I muse on the work of Your hands. (Verse 5) 

Remember.  We turn to God by remembering.  When times are tough, remember how God has worked through His creation.  Remember how God has walked with His people through the ages. 

Remember how God has walked with you.  In some way, God has always provided.  The provision was not always the one that we wanted or expected.  But the answer comes.

We also turn to God by praying with brutal honest to ourselves.  Read on in the passage from Psalm one-hundred forty-three:

I spread out my hands to You;
                My soul longs for You like a thirsty land. Selah 

Answer me speedily, O Lord; My spirit fails!
              Do not hide Your face from me,
Lest I be like those who go down into the pit. 
Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning,
              For in You do I trust;
Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
               For I lift up my soul to You.  (Verses 6-8)  

Let’s lift up our hands.  Let’s pray from the depths of our souls.  Let’s be honest with our emotions and feelings about the position we find ourselves in.  Let’s crave to hear the loving-kindness of the Lord as much as we do our breakfast in the morning. 

And let’s look for the loving-kindness of the Lord as automatically as we look for our cereal boxes.  Let’s listen.  Let’s be content to do what the Lord requires of us – as He speaks through Scripture and through His people.

And let’s be thankful for the blessing God provides us. I am thankful for a supportive church family.  I don’t know what I’d do without them.  I am thankful this day for a loving wife of the Christian faith.  I do not know what I’d do without her.  Read from Proverbs chapter thirty-one that describes a virtuous wife:

Strength and honor are her clothing;
                She shall rejoice in time to come. 
She opens her mouth with wisdom,
                And on her tongue is the law of kindness. 
She watches over the ways of her household,
                And does not eat the bread of idleness. 
Her children rise up and call her blessed;
                Her husband also, and he praises her: 
“Many daughters have done well,
                But you excel them all." 
Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
               But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. 
Give her of the fruit of her hands,
              And let her own works praise her in the gates.
                                                                    (Verses 25-31) 

There is a fitting description of my wife, my better half…

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment