Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lenten Prayer; Psalm 139, Proverbs 17

May the mumbling commence!

Search me.  Try me.  Know me.  Remove any wickedness far from me.  It is a simple and powerful prayer – one to use often in the Lenten season.  Read the last couple of verses from Psalm one-hundred thirty-nine:

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties; 
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting. (Verses 23-24)

It is stressing and anxiety-producing when we try to uncover the wicked ways of our own lives.  So, we hand over our hearts and anxieties over to the Lord.  Remove any wickedness far from us.  And, then, the way everlasting will unfold before us.

Let us listen intently to the reproof of the Lord.  Let us learn from our mistakes.  Let us find other paths, other ways of healthfully expressing our full range of emotions and feelings.

May this reproof be effective with us.  May we be given numerous reminders so that the truth of what God says to us is evident and memorable.  Otherwise, we will be doomed to repeat our errors all over again.  Read from Proverbs chapter seventeen:

Rebuke is more effective for a wise man
Than a hundred blows on a fool. (Verse 10)

Indeed, a wise person listens to the Lord and obeys the Lord.

This is my Lenten prayer.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment