Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What a Dream! Genesis 28:10-22

May the mumbling commence!

When we choose to follow the Lord, there will be bumps in the road… but there will also be divine appointments.  Jacob was on the run from his brother Esau.  Jacob was using a rock for a pillow, and he feared for his life.  It’s no wonder that he couldn’t sleep very well and had quite active dreams.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Jacob left Beersheba and went to Haran.  He came to a certain place and camped for the night since the sun had set.  He took one of the stones there, set it under his head and lay down to sleep.  And he dreamed: A stairway was set on the ground and it reached all the way to the sky; angels of God were going up and down on it.
                Then God was right before him, saying, “I am God, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac.  I’m giving the ground on which you are sleeping to you and to your descendants.  Your descendants will be as the dust of the Earth; they’ll stretch from west to east and from north to south.  All the families of the Earth will bless themselves in you and your descendants.  Yes.  I’ll stay with you, I’ll protect you wherever you go, and I’ll bring you back to this very ground.  I’ll stick with you until I’ve done everything I promised you.”
                Jacob woke up from his sleep.  He said, God is in this place – truly.  And I didn’t even know it!”  He was terrified.  He whispered in awe, “Incredible.  Wonderful.  Holy.  This is God’s House.  This is the Gate of Heaven.”
                Jacob was up first thing in the morning.  He took the stone he had used for his pillow and stood it up as a memorial pillar and poured oil over it.  He christened the place Bethel (God’s House).  The name of the town had been Luz until then.
                Jacob vowed a vow: “If God stands by me on this journey on which I’m setting out, keeps me in food and clothing, and brings me back in one piece to my father’s house, this God will be my God.  This stone that I have set up as a memorial pillar will mark this as a place where God lives.  And everything you give me, I’ll return a tenth to you.”  (Genesis 28: 10-22)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Jacob left Beersheba and set out for Haran.  When he reached a certain place, he stopped for the night because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones there, he put it under his head and lay down to sleep.  He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.  There above it stood the Lord, and he said: "I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying.  Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring.  I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." 
When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, "Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it."  He was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven." 
Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it.  He called that place Bethel, though the city used to be called Luz. 
Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's house, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth." (Genesis 28:10-22)

There seems to me to be a significant difference between the Lord giving and the Lord will give.  So far Jacob and his fathers have not received the covenant promise of the land… nor of the many descendants.  It takes faith to keep on believing in spite of all the circumstantial evidence.  I like the NIV better than Peterson’s work in this case.

There’s also a significant difference between families of the earth blessing themselves in Jacob’s descendants (Peterson) and the peoples of the earth being blessed through them (NIV).  The NIV, once again, hits the Spirit and heart of the passage much better, in my opinion.

The other differences do not strike me as significant.

But when we are on the run like Jacob, we do not expect the Lord to be in this harrowing time.  Even if the presence of the Lord is there (and it is), we are not aware of it.  We are concentrating on staying alive.

It takes a wonderful dream to confirm to Jacob and to us that God is still there.  It’s in this passage that Jacob receives the true covenantal blessing from the Lord.  Jacob is acknowledged as a son of Abraham, who actually is his grandfather.  But his faith makes him closely resemble his grandfather.  

Though Jacob wants to intimately know God’s presence in his life through being protected, Jacob believes strongly in God’s blessing.  He believes even though he’s running for his life.


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out 

No comments:

Post a Comment