Saturday, December 27, 2014

Let's Learn What We Have Before It's Gone. Genesis 27:26-35

May the mumbling commence!

Though it was just complete, Rebekah’s and Isaac’s deception was unveiled posthaste.  But the bottom line is that the will of the Lord was done.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Then Isaac said, “Come close, son, and kiss me.”
                He came close and kissed him and Isaac smelled the smell of his clothes.  Finally, he blessed him,
                                Ahhh.  The smell of my son
                                                is like the smell of the open country blessed by God.
                                May God give you of Heaven’s dew
                                                and Earth’s bounty of grain and wine.
                                May peoples serve you
                                                and nations honor you.
                                You will master your brothers,
                                                and your mother’s sons will honor you.
                                Those who curse you will be cursed,
                                                those who bless you will be blessed.
                And then right after Isaac had blessed Jacob and Jacob had left, Esau showed up from the hunt.  He also had prepared a hearty meal.  He came to his father and said, “Let my father get up and eat of his son’s game, that he may give me his personal blessing.”
                His father Isaac said, “And who are you?”
                “I am your son, your firstborn, Esau.”
                Isaac started to tremble, shaking violently.  He said, “Then who hunted game and brought it to me?  I finished the meal just now, before you walked in.  And I blessed him – he’s blessed for good!”
                Esau, hearing his father’s words, sobbed violently and most bitterly, and cried to his father, “My father!  Can’t you also bless me?”
                “Your brother,” he said, “came here falsely and took your blessing.”  (Genesis 27:26-35)  

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Then his father Isaac said to him, “Come here, my son, and kiss me.”
                So he went to him and kissed him.  When Isaac caught the smell of his clothes, he blessed him and said,
                                “Ah, the smell of my son
                                                is like the smell of a field that the Lord has blessed.
                                May God give you of heaven’s dew
                                                and of earth’s richness – an abundance of grain and new wine.
                                May nations serve you
                                                and peoples bow down to you.
                                Be lord over your brothers,
                                                and may the sons of your mother bow down to you.
                                May those who curse you be cursed
                                                and those who bless you be blessed.”
                After Isaac finished blessing him and Jacob had scarcely left his father’s presence, his brother Esau came in from hunting.  He too prepared some tasty food and brought it to his father.  Then he said to him, “My father, sit up and eat some of my game, so that you may give me your blessing.”
                His father Isaac asked him, “Who are you?”
                “I am your son,” he answered, “your firstborn, Esau.”
                Isaac trembled violently and said, “Who was it, then, that hunted game and brought it to me?  I ate it just before you came and I blessed him – and indeed he will be blessed!”
                When Esau heard his father’s words, he burst out with a loud and bitter cry and said to his father, “Bless me – me too, my father!”
                But he said, “Your brother came deceitfully and took your blessing.”  (Genesis 27:26-35)

There are differences between the NIV and Peterson’s work, but mostly Peterson has kept the Spirit and heart of the Scripture in this passage.  I wonder, though, about the flipping of the peoples and the nations.  What’s that about?

The final part of the deception was Esau’s clothes.  The smell sealed the deal for Isaac.  And Jacob, impersonating Esau, was blessed abundantly.  What God had said to Rebekah had come true.

And Esau didn’t realize what he was losing until it was gone.  May we cling to our faith heritage and not lose it! 


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment