Sunday, December 28, 2014

Esau - Tricked Twice & Hopping Mad! Genesis 27:36-41

May the mumbling commence!

What was left for Esau?  Nothing was left but bitterness and regret… and murderous rage.  Will we choose like Esau and think of the here and now?  Or will we look at the future the Lord has for us?  Do we really want to be like Esau?  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Esau said, “Not for nothing was he named Jacob, the Heel.  Twice now he’s tricked me: first he took my birthright and now he’s taken my blessing.”
            He begged, “Haven’t you kept back any blessing for me?”
            Isaac answered Esau, “I’ve made him your master, and all his brothers his servants, and lavished grain and wine on him.  I’ve given it all away.  What’s left for you, my son?”
            “But don’t you have just one blessing for me, Father?  Oh, bless me my father!  Bless me!”  Esau sobbed inconsolably.
            Isaac said to him,
                        You’ll live far from Earth’s bounty,
                                    remote from Heaven’s dew.
                        You’ll live by your sword, hand-to-mouth,
                                    and you’ll serve your brother.
                        But when you can’t take it any more
                                    you’ll break loose and run free.
            Esau seethed in anger against Jacob because of the blessing his father had given him; he brooded, “The time for mourning my father’s death is close.  And then I’ll kill my brother Jacob.”  (Genesis 27:36-41)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Esau said, "Isn't he rightly named Jacob? He has deceived me these two times: He took my birthright, and now he's taken my blessing!" Then he asked, "Haven't you reserved any blessing for me?" 
Isaac answered Esau, "I have made him lord over you and have made all his relatives his servants, and I have sustained him with grain and new wine. So what can I possibly do for you, my son?" 
Esau said to his father, "Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!" Then Esau wept aloud. 
His father Isaac answered him,
"Your dwelling will be away from the earth's richness,
away from the dew of heaven above. 
You will live by the sword
and you will serve your brother.
But when you grow restless,
you will throw his yoke from off your neck." 
Esau held a grudge against Jacob because of the blessing his father had given him. He said to himself, "The days of mourning for my father are near; then I will kill my brother Jacob."  (Genesis 27:36-41)

Indeed, there are some significant differences between Peterson’s work and the NIV in this passage.  In Peterson’s work, Esau asks for just one blessing.  That’s pales in comparison to the affront given to Isaac: do you have only one blessing to give?  Esau doesn’t realize the significance of either the birthright or the blessing.  Peterson misses this key point, in my opinion.

Yet Peterson does grasp and adequately portray the anger that Esau felt at being cheated by Jacob the Deceiver (which is also a meaning for the name Jacob).  He brooded.  If he could have neither the birthright nor the blessing, no one would.  I am not even sure that he desired it for himself.  He was only angry at being deceived… twice.

May we have a longer view of things… an eternal view… a view we can only obtain by following the Lord’s lead in our lives.


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out 

No comments:

Post a Comment