Friday, December 26, 2014

God Always Prevails! Genesis 27:14-25

May the mumbling commence!

Will deception and conniving and scheming work?  Or will the will of the Lord prevail?  It’s no contest.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            So he went and got them and brought them to his mother and she cooked a hearty meal, the kind his father loved so much.
            Rebekah took the dress-up clothes of her elder son Esau and put them on her younger son Jacob.  She took the goatskins and covered his hands and the smooth nape of his neck.  Then she placed the hearty meal she had fixed and fresh bread she’d baked into the hands of her son Jacob.
            He went to his father and said, “My father!”
            “Yes?” he said.  “Which son are you?”
            Jacob answered his father, “I’m your firstborn son Esau.  I did what you told me.  Come now; sit up and eat of my game so you can give me your personal blessing.”
            Isaac said, “So soon?  How did you get it so quickly?”
            “Because your God cleared the way for me.
            Isaac said, “Come close, son; let me touch you – are you really my son Esau?”
            So Jacob moved close to his father Isaac.  Isaac felt him and said, “The voice is Jacob’s voice but the hands are the hands of Esau.”  He didn’t recognize him because his hands were hairy, like his brother Esau’s.
            But as he was about to bless him he pressed him, “You’re sure?  You are my son Esau?”
            “Yes.  I am.”
            Isaac said, “Bring the food so I can eat of my son’s game and give you my personal blessing.”  Jacob brought it to him and he ate.  He also brought him wine and he drank.  (Genesis 27:14-25)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

            So he went and got them and brought them to his mother, and she prepared some tasty food, just the way his father liked it.  Then Rebekah took the best clothes of Esau her older son, which she had in the house, and put them on her younger son Jacob.  She also covered his hands and the smooth part of his neck with the goatskins.  Then she handed to her son Jacob the tasty food and the bread she had made.
            He went to his father and said, “My father.”
            “Yes, my son,” he answered.  “Who is it?”
            Jacob said to his father, “I am Esau your firstborn.  I have done as you told me.  Please sit up and eat some of my game so that you may give me your blessing.”
            Isaac asked his son, “How did you find it so quickly, my son?”
            “The Lord your God gave me success,” he replied.
            Then Isaac said to Jacob, “Come near so I can touch you, my son, to know whether you really are my son Esau or not.”
            Jacob went close to his father Isaac, who touched him and said, “The voice is the voice of Jacob, but the hands are the hands of Esau.”  He did not recognize him, for his hands were hairy like those of his brother Esau; so he blessed him.  “Are you really my son Esau?” he asked.
            “I am,” he replied.
            Then he said, “My son, bring me some of your game to eat, so that I may give you my blessing.”
            Jacob brought it to him and he ate, and he brought some wine and he drank.  (Genesis 27:14-25)

The differences between the NIV and Peterson’s work are evident throughout this passage, but they do not change the heart of meaning of the Scripture.

Isaac was wary.  He knew the propensity for Jacob to deceive.  What he had not anticipated fully was the deception from his wife.  Her final touches of the goatskins on Jacob’s skin helped to seal the deal.

Isaac asks for clarification four times because his senses and logic were sending him mixed messages.  The voice was Jacob’s.  There was no way that Esau could not have successfully hunted, cleaned and prepared a meal so fast.  But there was the hairiness of the skin to his touch… like Esau not Jacob. 

Isaac asks one last time, “Is that really you, Esau?”  And Jacob continues the deception by answering yes.

It seems that Jacob and Rebekah were successful in their deception.  But it really was because of the Lord’s will. 


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out  

No comments:

Post a Comment