Monday, December 8, 2014

Honoring Your Loved Ones. Genesis 23:1-9

May the mumbling commence!

Showing honor and respect to the spouse you loved so much is essential for closure.  Abraham was so far from his homeland, but when Sarah passed away, he needed a place to bury her.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:
           
Sarah lived 127 years.  Sarah died in Kiriath Arba, present-day Hebron, in the land of Canaan.  Abraham mourned for Sarah and wept.
            Then Abraham got up from mourning his dead wife and spoke to the Hittites: “I know I’m only an outsider here among you, but sell me a burial plot so I can bury my dead decently.”
            The Hittites responded, “Why, you’re no mere outsider here with us, you’re a prince of God!  Bury your dead wife in the best of our burial sites.  None of us will refuse you a place for burial.”
            Then Abraham got up and bowed respectfully to the people of the land, the Hittites, and said, “If you’re serious about helping me give my wife a proper burial, intercede for me with Ephron son of Zophar.  Ask him to sell me the cave of Machpelah that he owns, the one at the end of his land.  Ask him to sell it to me at its full price for a burial plot, with you as witnesses.”  (Genesis 23:1-9)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Sarah lived to be a hundred and twenty-seven years old.  She died at Kiriath Arba (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan, and Abraham went to mourn for Sarah and to weep over her. 
Then Abraham rose from beside his dead wife and spoke to the Hittites. He said, "I am an alien and a stranger among you. Sell me some property for a burial site here so I can bury my dead." 
The Hittites replied to Abraham, "Sir, listen to us. You are a mighty prince among us. Bury your dead in the choicest of our tombs. None of us will refuse you his tomb for burying your dead." 
Then Abraham rose and bowed down before the people of the land, the Hittites.  He said to them, "If you are willing to let me bury my dead, then listen to me and intercede with Ephron son of Zohar on my behalf so he will sell me the cave of Machpelah, which belongs to him and is at the end of his field. Ask him to sell it to me for the full price as a burial site among you."  (Genesis 23:1-9)

Though there are differences between Peterson’s work and the NIV, the heart and Spirit of the Word is still the same.  Abraham owned no land, a situation of little power and vulnerability.  The first piece of land that he would buy would be to bury his wife. 

Abraham was making a statement that was powerful.  This is his home.  He did not return to his former land to bury his wife.

And Abraham would not allow the land to be a gift.  He wanted to pay full price.  He wanted to be fully invested.

Here was an opportunity to give up and return back to old country and old ways.  Yet Abraham forged on.  What faith!

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment