Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Praying with Our Eyes Open. Genesis 24:10-27

May the mumbling commence!

When we follow the Lord, we will find that God is always faithful.  This was the experience of Abraham’s servant as he sought a wife for Isaac.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            The servant took ten of his master’s camels and, loaded with gifts from his master, traveled to Aram Naharaim and the city of Nahor.  Outside the city, he made the camels kneel at a well.  It was evening, the time when the women came to draw water.  He prayed, “O God, God of my master Abraham, make things go smoothly this day; treat my master Abraham well!  As I stand here by the spring while the young women of the town come out to get water, let the girl to whom I say, ‘Lower your jug and give me a drink,’ and who answers, ‘Drink, and let me also water your camels’ – let her be the woman you have picked out for your servant Isaac.  Then I’ll know that you’re working graciously behind the scenes for my master.”
                It so happened that the words were barely out of his mouth when Rebekah, the daughter of Bethuel whose mother was Milcah the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, came out with a water jug on her shoulder.  The girl was stunningly beautiful, a pure virgin.  She went down to the spring, filled her jug, and came back upThe servant ran to her and said, “Please, can I have a sip of water from your jug?”
                She said, “Certainly, drink!”  And she held the jug so that he could drink.  When he had satisfied his thirst she said, “I’ll get water for your camels, too, until they’ve drunk their fill.”  She promptly emptied her jug into the trough and ran back to the well to fill it, and she kept at it until she had watered all the camels.
                The man watched, silent.  Was this God’s answer?  Had God made his trip a success or not?
                When the camels had finished drinking, the man brought out gifts, a gold nose ring weighing a quarter of an once and two arm bracelets weighing about four ounces, and gave them to her.  He asked her, “Tell me about your family?  Whose daughter are you?  Is there room in your father’s house for us to stay the night?”
                She said, “I’m the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah and Nahor.  And there’s plenty of room in our house for you to stay – and lots of straw and feed besides.”
                At this the man bowed in worship before God and prayed, “Blessed be God, God of my master Abraham: How generous and true you’ve been to my master, you’ve held nothing back.  You led me right to the door of my master’s brother!”  (Genesis 24:10-27)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:        
                                                   
Then the servant took ten of his master's camels and left, taking with him all kinds of good things from his master. He set out for Aram Naharaim and made his way to the town of Nahor.  He had the camels kneel down near the well outside the town; it was toward evening, the time the women go out to draw water. 
Then he prayed, "O Lord, God of my master Abraham, give me success today, and show kindness to my master Abraham.  See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water.  May it be that when I say to a girl, 'Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,' and she says, 'Drink, and I'll water your camels too' – let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master." 
Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milcah, who was the wife of Abraham's brother Nahor.  The girl was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever lain with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again. 
The servant hurried to meet her and said, "Please give me a little water from your jar." 
"Drink, my lord," she said, and quickly lowered the jar to her hands and gave him a drink. 
After she had given him a drink, she said, "I'll draw water for your camels too, until they have finished drinking."  So she quickly emptied her jar into the trough, ran back to the well to draw more water, and drew enough for all his camels.  Without saying a word, the man watched her closely to learn whether or not the Lord had made his journey successful. 
When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out a gold nose ring weighing a beka and two gold bracelets weighing ten shekels.  Then he asked, "Whose daughter are you? Please tell me, is there room in your father's house for us to spend the night?" 
She answered him, "I am the daughter of Bethuel, the son that Milcah bore to Nahor."  And she added, "We have plenty of straw and fodder, as well as room for you to spend the night." 
Then the man bowed down and worshiped the Lord, saying, "Praise be to the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master. As for me, the Lord has led me on the journey to the house of my master's relatives."  (Genesis 24:10-27)

The differences between Peterson’s work and the NIV do not alter the Spirit and heart of the Word.  For Abraham’s servant, the answer to prayer was immediate – even before he had finished praying.  It’s good reason to pray with our eyes open so that we might see the provision of the Lord.  Indeed, answered prayer happened for a man who did not know God as his own God. 


The Lord was God of his master Abraham.  Yet, the servant knelt in worship of the Lord God when he saw the immediate answer to his prayers.  

May we pray with our eyes open and take time to worship the Lord when we see the answer to our prayers.  

Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment