Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Matchmaker, Make Me a Match! Genesis 24:1-9

May the mumbling commence!

Finding an appropriate spouse is essential.  Abraham knew this well, and he wanted it for his son Isaac.  The wrong spouse can lead a person down the wrong path.  The right spouse could help, support and encourage the faith needed to walk the path the Lord puts down before a person.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Abraham was now an old man.  God had blessed Abraham in every way.
            Abraham spoke to the senior servant in his household, the one in charge of everything he had, “Put your hand under my thigh and swear by God God of Heaven, God of Earth – that you will not get a wife for my son from among the Canaanites here, but will go to the land of my birth and get a wife for my son Isaac.”
            The servant answered, “But what if the woman refuses to leave home and come with me?  Do I then take your son back to your home country?”
            Abraham said, “Oh no.  Never.  By no means are you to take my son back there.  God, the God of Heaven, took me from the home of my father and from the country of my birth and spoke to me in solemn promise, ‘I’m giving this land to your descendants.’  This God will send his angel ahead of you to get a wife for my son.  And if the woman won’t come, you are free from this oath you’ve sworn to me.  But under no circumstances are you to take my son back there.”
            So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and gave his solemn oath.  (Genesis 24:1-9)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Abraham was now old and well advanced in years, and the Lord had blessed him in every way.  He said to the chief servant in his household, the one in charge of all that he had, "Put your hand under my thighI want you to swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and the God of earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I am living, but will go to my country and my own relatives and get a wife for my son Isaac." 
The servant asked him, "What if the woman is unwilling to come back with me to this land? Shall I then take your son back to the country you came from?" 
"Make sure that you do not take my son back there," Abraham said.  "The Lord, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father's household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, 'To your offspring I will give this land' – he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there.  If the woman is unwilling to come back with you, then you will be released from this oath of mine. Only do not take my son back there."  So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter.  (Genesis 24:1-9)

God had promised Abraham this land of Canaan, and that promise was being deeded to Isaac.  Abraham and Sarah had left their homeland.  It was an act of their faith.

Isaac knew nothing of this level of sacrifice and faith and obedience.  And Abraham knew it.  Abraham wanted a wife for Isaac who was willing to leave the land of her birth to claim the promise of the Lord.

Because going back was not an option – ever.  With our relationship with the Lord, there is only one way to go – onward with God at our side.

For the most part, I like what Peterson has done with this passage.  It emphasizes the faith and obedience needed from Isaac’s future wife.  “What if she refuses to leave home and come with me?” the servant asks.

The only difference that causes pause for me is the status of giving the land to Abraham and his descendants.  Is God currently giving this land to them (Peterson)?  Or is the promise of the Lord in the future (the will of the NIV)?  Or maybe is it a bit of both… like it’s in the future but is being claimed through faith as already certain?

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment