Sunday, July 27, 2014

Peace & Justice! Isaiah 42-43; Revelation 18

May the mumbling commence!

Peace and justice are tied together.  We cannot have one without the other.  Read from Isaiah chapter forty-two:

"Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. He is my chosen one, and I am pleased with him. I have put my Spirit upon him. He will reveal justice to the nations.  He will be gentle – he will not shout or raise his voice in public.  He will not crush those who are weak or quench the smallest hope. He will bring full justice to all who have been wronged.  He will not stop until truth and righteousness prevail throughout the earth. Even distant lands beyond the sea will wait for his instruction." 
God, the Lord, created the heavens and stretched them out. He created the earth and everything in it. He gives breath and life to everyone in all the world. And it is he who says, "I, the Lord, have called you to demonstrate my righteousness. I will guard and support you, for I have given you to my people as the personal confirmation of my covenant with them. And you will be a light to guide all nations to me.  You will open the eyes of the blind and free the captives from prison. You will release those who sit in dark dungeons.” (Verses 1-7)

God’s Righteous One, Jesus, will reveal justice in a gentle way.  Full justice will be paid as truth and righteousness prevail.  Let’s wait on the Lord for these pieces to peace.

But waiting is NOT passive.  God has called His people to demonstrate the righteousness of the Lord.  God has called us to be a light to all the world.  We are to open the eyes of the blind.  We are to open the prisons and free the captives.

Free our hearts and minds and souls.  Open our eyes and unstop our ears so that we might be your instruments of righteousness in the world, O God.  This is our prayer.

May the pleasures of this world not distract us from the task You have given us.  Read from Revelation chapter eighteen:

She has lived in luxury and pleasure, so match it now with torments and sorrows. She boasts, 'I am queen on my throne. I am no helpless widow. I will not experience sorrow.'  Therefore, the sorrows of death and mourning and famine will overtake her in a single day. She will be utterly consumed by fire, for the Lord God who judges her is mighty." 
And the rulers of the world who took part in her immoral acts and enjoyed her great luxury will mourn for her as they see the smoke rising from her charred remains.  They will stand at a distance, terrified by her great torment. They will cry out, "How terrible, how terrible for Babylon, that great city! In one single moment God's judgment came on her." (Verses 7-10)

Let it not be said that there is no luxury tax.  Luxury tax is utter destruction and torment.  Our task is not to accumulate.  Our task is to right relationships.  Our task is to share.  Our task is to give to people and allow people to support us… to receive… to be vulnerable.

May we embrace our God-given task as God’s people!

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment