Sunday, July 6, 2014

Celebrating Marital Love. Song of Songs 1-5

May the mumbling commence!

The love between husband and wife is to be celebrated.  It’s akin to the love of God for all humanity.  It’s a love that encompasses sexual love… though it is much deeper than that. 

And there is a book of the Hebrew Bible that celebrates that sexual dimension of love in song.  Sometimes it’s called the Song of Solomon.  Sometimes it’s called the Song of Songs. 

It’s enough to make me blush.  Sexual love is the source of all life.  In the seasons of the world, it’s spring.  Read a passage from chapter two:

"My lover said to me,
'Rise up, my beloved, my fair one, and come away
For the winter is past,
and the rain is over and gone. 
The flowers are springing up,
and the time of singing birds has come,
even the cooing of turtledoves
The fig trees are budding,
and the grapevines are in blossom.
How delicious they smell!
Yes, spring is here!
Arise, my beloved, my fair one, and come away.'" (Verses 10-13)

The imagery is sensual.  Our senses are nearly overwhelmed.  There’s the beauty of the flowers before our eyes… the fragrant perfume of the flowers.  There’s the singing of the birds… the gentle cooing of the doves. 

And there’s the promise of fruit… fruit of fig trees and grapevines.  Again there’s that wonderful aroma… and the promise of the sweet taste of fruit bursting within our mouths.

In the Song of Songs, there is a repeated refrain: I’m my lover's, and s/he is mine.  It’s total surrender wrapped within total possession.  That’s the way of godly sexual love within the marriage covenant.

I am reminded of my own marriage ceremony.  This passage from the Song of Songs has been set to music, and it was sung at my wedding.  It acknowledges a marital love that is so deep and strong that it existed before the ceremony.  It endured throughout the ceremony.  And only death can harm this human marital love.

This love echoes the love of God for us.  Nothing is stronger than God’s love for us.  Not even death!

Let’s rejoice in this love.  Let’s rejoice in our spouses.

My wife is mine.  I am hers.  Amen.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out 

No comments:

Post a Comment