Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Called to Companionship. Ecclesiastes 3-4; First John 4

May the mumbling commence!

There are advantages of companionship.  The Teacher in Ecclesiastes speaks of them in chapter four.  Some of these words remind me of the theme of my wedding. 

My wife and I (married a little over ten years now) chose to speak of the three-fold cord.  The three cords in our marriage would be each of us with Christ in the center.  I symbolically started that off by the way I proposed to Anita.

I sent her ten red roses, telling her that she was my perfect ten.  Then I delivered to her three more roses – two red and one white.  The red roses symbolized our love for one another.  The white rose symbolized Christ.

With these thoughts in mind read from Ecclesiastes chapter four:

I observed yet another example of meaninglessness in our world.  This is the case of a man who is all alone, without a child or a brother, yet who works hard to gain as much wealth as he can. But then he asks himself, "Who am I working for? Why am I giving up so much pleasure now?" It is all so meaningless and depressing
Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble.  And on a cold night, two under the same blanket can gain warmth from each other. But how can one be warm alone?  A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. (Verses 7-12)

The opening thoughts are somber.  We do not need to live life alone.  We can find companionship far from our family of origin by committing ourselves to walk in faith with a church community.

Just as Christ is at the center of my marriage, Christ is at the center of every healthy church community.  Together, we are the greater than the sum of our parts.  I see it in my marriage.  I see it in the church community that God has blessed me with.  And I give thanks!

We are not meant to be alone… on an island.  Forget about the illusion of independence.  It is a lie.  All of us are dependent upon God and interdependent on each other.  We are made for relationship.  And that means loving people even when it’s hard to.  Read from First John chapter four:

If someone says, "I love God," but hates a Christian brother or sister, that person is a liar; for if we don't love people we can see, how can we love God, whom we have not seen?  And God himself has commanded that we must love not only him but our Christian brothers and sisters, too. (Verses 20-21)

Love of God and love of neighbor are tied up together.  We cannot rightly separate them.  Love your neighbor… whether they are Christian in faith or not.  Who knows whether or not your love for them will lead them to Christ and the worship of the Lord might be that much more enhanced?

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment