Monday, July 28, 2014

More Than That. Isaiah 49-50; Revelation 19

May the mumbling commence!

As God’s people, we are called to be a light to all the world.  Yes, we are to be cemented together by our love for each other.  Our love for each other will show the world that we are followers of Christ.  But that love alone is NOT enough.  We are meant for greater things than that.  Read from the beginning of Isaiah chapter forty-nine:

Listen to me, all of you in far-off lands! The Lord called me before my birth; from within the womb he called me by name.  He made my words of judgment as sharp as a sword. He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand. I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver. 
He said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, and you will bring me glory." 
I replied, "But my work all seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose at all. Yet I leave it all in the Lord's hand; I will trust God for my reward." 
And now the Lord speaks – he who formed me in my mother's womb to be his servant, who commissioned me to bring his people of Israel back to him. The Lord has honored me, and my God has given me strength.  He says, "You will do more than restore the people of Israel to me. I will make you a light to the Gentiles, and you will bring my salvation to the ends of the earth." 
The Lord, the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel, says to the one who is despised and rejected by a nation, to the one who is the servant of rulers: "Kings will stand at attention when you pass by. Princes will bow low because the Lord has chosen you. He, the faithful Lord, the Holy One of Israel, chooses you." (Verses 1-7)

Do not doubt it.  You are chosen.  We are chosen.

And our task is huge.  Help to bring the salvation of the Lord to all people all over the earth.  But with that commission comes the strength that the Lord provides.  The Lord strengthens us and equips us for godly work.

What joy to be chosen by the Lord Jesus!  Let us worship the Lord alone – alongside all who serve God.  Read from Revelation chapter nineteen:

Then I heard again what sounded like the shout of a huge crowd, or the roar of mighty ocean waves, or the crash of loud thunder: "Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns.  Let us be glad and rejoice and honor him. For the time has come for the wedding feast of the Lamb, and his bride has prepared herself.  She is permitted to wear the finest white linen." (Fine linen represents the good deeds done by the people of God.) 
And the angel said, "Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding feast of the Lamb." And he added, "These are true words that come from God." 
Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said, "No, don't worship me. For I am a servant of God, just like you and other brothers and sisters who testify of their faith in Jesus. Worship God. For the essence of prophecy is to give a clear witness for Jesus." (Verses 6-10)

We are not to worship our fellow servants – even the pastors and angels in our midst.  God alone deserves worship… and a clear witness to the powerful agent of change – Jesus the Christ.  Alleluia!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out


No comments:

Post a Comment