Monday, July 7, 2014

Commit to Love. Song of Songs 6-7; Revelation 1

May the mumbling commence!

Now that’s turning up the heat.  In the context of the marriage, the natural desires that we have for sex are fulfilled in the safest and godliest of ways.  It was the way God intended it to be.  Don’t believe me?  Read from Song of Songs chapter seven:

"Oh, how delightful you are, my beloved;
how pleasant for utter delight! 
You are tall and slim like a palm tree,
and your breasts are like its clusters of dates
I said, 'I will climb up into the palm tree
and take hold of its branches.'
Now may your breasts be like grape clusters,
and the scent of your breath like apples
May your kisses be as exciting as the best wine,
smooth and sweet, flowing gently over lips and teeth. "

Young Woman:  "I am my lover's, the one he desires. 
Come, my love, let us go out into the fields
and spend the night among the wildflowers
Let us get up early and go out to the vineyards.
Let us see whether the vines have budded,
whether the blossoms have opened,
and whether the pomegranates are in flower.
And there I will give you my love. 
There the mandrakes give forth their fragrance,
and the rarest fruits are at our doors,
the new as well as old,
for I have stored them up for you, my lover." (Verses 6-13)

Talk about sensuous!  The senses are totally engaged – sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell.  I remember well the months of my engagement with my wife.  I knew this desire for her. 

I still have that desire for her.  And now it is given in the context of our marriage… our firm commitment of love for one another.

But I also remember the delayed gratification of engagement.  I stored up my love for her.  I gave it to no other. 

And the fruit of that love between my wife and me is our beautiful son.  Now our commitment of love extends to him.  That’s the way it is meant to be.

It’s this deep and compassionate and passionate love that God has for us.  And this love is shown through the sacrifice of Jesus, God’s Son.   Read from Revelation chapter one:

All praise to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us his Kingdom and his priests who serve before God his Father. Give to him everlasting glory! He rules forever and ever! Amen!  (Verses 5b-6) 

The love of God, which is echoed in marriage, is worthy of all praise and glory.  Amen!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment