Monday, June 9, 2014

Graceful Power. Psalms 131-132; Hebrews 11

May the mumbling commence!

Focus on the Lord, and keep yourself in proper perspective.  And the proper perspective will help your hope to grow.  As you grow, you will know the stillness and quietness and contentment of a child with her mother.  Let’s face it, most of us are momma’s boys and girls.  Read Psalm One-hundred Thirty-one:

Lord, my heart is not proud;
my eyes are not haughty.
I don't concern myself with matters
too great or awesome for me. 
But I have stilled and quieted myself,
just as a small child is quiet with its mother.
Yes, like a small child is my soul within me. 

O Israel, put your hope in the Lord
now and always.

I thank the psalmist for the picture of a mother for our Lord.  There is no better place to be comforted, stilled and quieted.  Mothering God, purge us from pride and haughtiness.  Grant us peace and hope.

To be comforted and stilled and quieted with peace and hope that comes from God are the ingredients for faith.  What is faith?  Read the definition of faith from the beginning of Hebrews chapter eleven:

What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.  God gave his approval to people in days of old because of their faith. 
By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God's command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen. (Verses 1-3)

Peace and security allow us to have confidence in the promise of hope that the Lord has given us.  Though we cannot see it, we know it is right around the corner.  Everything that we can see was formed by the command of God.  God invited (“Let there be light”) and it was.  That is the creative power of the speech of the Lord.

That creative power is found in combining power and grace.  Think about that!

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment